1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC help?????

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bonfigli, Apr 12, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but.......

I bought the following for use as a simple HTPC "Biostar IDEQ 210V" It comes with a built in Sata hard disk installed.

I wanted to take my IDE hard disk out of my current pc, in order to transfer over my video files.

I connected the hard disk to the free IDE cable and set the drive to slave.

But ever time I start the machine, it boots from the IDE drive???

Any idea how I get the computer to boot from Sata drive, and the IDE to load as a slave for drag and drop transfer??

Thanking you in advance.

2. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

I know this is the wrong forum, but I posted this on the HTPC forum with no takers, and as you guy's haven't let me down before, so........... :D

I bought the following for use as a simple HTPC "Biostar IDEQ 210V" It comes with a built in Sata hard disk installed.

I wanted to take my IDE hard disk out of my current pc, in order to transfer over my video files.

I connected the hard disk to the free IDE cable and set the drive to slave.

But ever time I start the machine, it boots from the IDE drive???

Any idea how I get the computer to boot from Sata drive, and the IDE to load as a slave for drag and drop transfer??

Thanking you in advance.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I'll have a few guesses but I've no experience with sata. :)

Is there a setting in bios that will make the pc boot to ide if it's installed rather than the sata drive?

Are you sure the ide drive is set to slave?

Is the IDE cable round the right way - the correct end attached to the motherboard and not a hard drive? Sometimes this can cause problems if it's a cable with cable select capabilities (very unlikely in this case).

Try putting the drive on the secondary ide and see if that makes a difference.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Gary.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    go into bios and set primary HDD to your sata one. i run IDE and SATA and i had to do that at first. its basically recognising the IDE as the first drive unless you state otherwise

5. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response guy's.

I'll give that a shot in the morning :thumbsup:

Bonfigli

6. rhebdon

rhebdon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my PC when I installed a new SATA hard disk in my system.

On my system if there was an IDE disk present it would allways boot to that first untill I changed the boot order in the bios making the SATA controller the first boot device.

The problem then was that the SATA disk was allways detected as the D: volume.

To solve the problem I had to change the way the bios presented the IDE channels to a combined where the PATA and SATA channels are effectively merged. This means you have to be carefull not to set more than one device to master or slave on the same channel but you can get the SATA disk to become the C:

That was on an Intel chipset if you have a VIA chipset or something else it maybe different.

Thanks,

Richard.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Threads merged & moved. It will have to remain in the appropriate forum - HCPCs.

:smoke:

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my Bios (Asus) you can select a priority so it will look to boot off IDE or SATA first.

You can also run SATA in "Compatibility Mode" which is not what you want.

Dave