HTPC -> HDMI -> Denon 1912 -> HDMI -> Plasma = Black screen

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BacchusFLT, Jan 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BacchusFLT

BacchusFLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a HTPC (DELL SFF machine - Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition) and an XFX ATI Radeon 4350 card using the HDMI output to the Denon AVR-1912 amp. After it I have a very old LG plasma (42" - only able to do 1024x768). Most recent Radeon drivers installed, fetched from ATI/AMD.

What I get is a black screen, when computer boots normally.

What works:
    * Analouge composite -> TV works fine.
    * I had a AVR-1612 for a brief time, and with this, it all worked fine with no issues what so ever.
    * "Safe mode" (800 * 600) is no problems => means that the HDMI connection between the HCTP and the Amp, as well as the HDMI between the Amp and the TV works as expected.
    * Uninstalling the ATI drivers and running "drive sweep" (Driver Sweeper - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com) it also boots fine => Killing ATI drivers and it works fine.

Also what DOESN'T work:
    * Normal booting
    * Booting in lower resolution

Ergo; ATI drivers and the Amp don't communicate properly. Warmly welcome any feedback and all forum posts related to something even close and really old and the only tangible suggestion is to let it boot into the back screen mode and unplug the HDMI and plug it in again. That btw didn't work either.

2. BacchusFLT

BacchusFLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to the above; what I also note is that the HDMI "icon" on the AVR-1912's display goes away in the boot, where it would normally light up the windows screen. So it no longer receives HDMI from that cable. For what reason I still don't know ...

3. BacchusFLT

BacchusFLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. BacchusFLT

BacchusFLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: SOLVED!!!!! :clap:

The AVR-1912 is seen as a connected but disabled secondary screen. When you assume the desktop is there, just press windows + p, cursor one step right, press return (as you would to enable a projector under Win7). After this I possibly needed to press the Windows key again (or if there was just a delay - not sure), but then I get the picture in full and nice resolution.

Now I just need to get the sound working as well... ;-)

5. BacchusFLT

BacchusFLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would still want the screen to turn on automatically without this fiddling, which it still doesn't.

Also; sound via HDMI doesn't work. Using Realtek drivers, and where I had a "clone" screen (where Windows indicated that I have two screens in one so identify gave 1|2 for the monitor) it worked briefly, but normally the speaker symbol in the traybar claims no speaker is attached.

So, the connection between the AVR-1912 and the ATI Radeon card still leaves a lot to wish for!