HTPC, Games and Plasma TVs

Belzok

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone.

I've been thinking about getting a flatscreen, either LCD or Plasma for the last few months and I'm currently leaning towards the Panasonic PX70/PH9 plasma at the moment, either TV or panel I'm not sure at the mo.

I am also speccing up a nice PC to act as my HTPC and gaming rig, it will be Core Duo and Nvidia 8800GTS I think, in a tower case as aesthetics aren't too important and I want something I can have more than 1 x 5.25" drive in.

My questions are;

1) How good are plasmas for gaming, FPSs like Counterstrike for example, and

2) will it be a good panel for watching DVD and HD-DVD/Bluray via the HTPC, once the prices come down a bit for the drives of course!!

I will be buying the panel in about 4 months time when I move house so the current new out, high price models may be more affordable by then.

Jonstone

If you are planning on doing a lot of gaming on your plasma then I would highly recommend a demo first because of the green fringe issue.(search the forums its discussed a lot, to do with the phosphors that produce green on plasmas)

It isn't so noticeable on a lot of games, but any with areas of high dark/light contrast that involve fast panning (this would be most fps games) and the problem becomes very noticeable.

I have a panasonic plasma and I couldn't recommend them more highly for blu ray etc and normal tv viewing, but for games I think its best to check how much you notice the green fringe issue before parting with your cash

Belzok

Distinguished Member
Hey thanks for that, I would no doubt notice the green tinges as I play a fair amount of Counterstrike.

Oh well back to square one :)

It's either green tinges on plasmas or ghosting on LCDs, well that leaves RPTVs and they certainly have their own set of problems!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom