HTPC front end: Media Portal / MCE / Xlobby?

Supersonic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a HTPC running WinXP Home edition at the moment and am considering using a front end to access DVDs, music etc.

I've had a look at Xlobby, but I find it highly unintuitive to operate so far!

What are Media Portal and MCE like in comparison? MCE looks very slick but also seems to have problems as it's also an OS...

How does Media Portal compare in usage terms?

Hi,

I cant answer your question about the alternatives but thought I would offer some support to XLobby.

I agree it is a little daunting to begin with and I am not currently running it but, what it does offer is the ability to work with the best applications for DVD, video capture and music rather than be stuck with the proprietary stuff that comes with MCE.

This allows me to use DScaler for SKY capture, Theatre Tek for DVD, Nebula for Freeview, Foobar for music etc..

Once I got into X Lobby I did find it relatively easy to use to get applications to launch, refresh databases etc and there is the possibility of using PDA's for controls once I get round to it.

I suppose it depends on how much you wnat to configure and tailor your system and how much you want plug and play.

All the best

Chris

Have you tried Meedio Essentials, I use it and it's fairly easy to set up. You can have a 30 day trial, then it's £28 quid odd for the full version. there are lots of mostly free add-ins which add extra functionality. Also other add-ons such as MeedioTV which costs extra.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom