HTPC for HyperSpin & XBMC

afoster

Hi,

I'm looking to build a HTPC that'll be primarily used for HyperSpin, but will also run XBMC for watching videos, listening to music, etc.

It'll be handling emulation up to PS1/Dreamcast era and will also be used to play 720p content primarily, sometimes 1080p.

Here's the spec that I've come up with - just looking for some advice really to make sure that all the parts are compatible and that I shouldn't encounter any issues putting it together.

Case: SilverStone Milo ML03
Motherboard: MSI H61M-E33-B3
Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz Socket 1155
GPU: Asus GT 520 Silent 2GB DDR3 Low Profile Graphics Card
Memory: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz
HDD1: Crucial 64GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III
HDD2: WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive
PSU: Antec 380W EarthWatts Green PSU

The SSD will store the OS, HyperSpin and XBMC. The WD 2TB drive will contain the games plus some other media files.

Has anyone done a similar build? Is there anything I should look out for?

At the moment my main concern is whether everything will fit okay in the case?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance :smashin:

Pepperami

Just seen your post, im in the middle of a Bartop Cabinet Build myself, and will be using Hyperspin as a front end, mainly be used for the Mame and relevant EMUs but might use some of the free space on the 2TB drive for a Jukebox or similar ;)

The Spec I have gone for is the Intel i7 2600 CPU on an Asus P8Z68-V LX MoBo with 4 x 4GB Patriot Memory

Its a decent spec, and is more than capable of handling all the Emulation I can throw at it

I just noticed your PSU - I #THINK# your a bit below par on this one, the graphics card will draw a fair bit of power, and I think the minimum I was told was 500w with a 700-800w being the preference, I decided on an 800w as to be honest, I didnt want to stretch the system, if your running a fairly decent setup why compromise on the item thats running it all ;)

Im trying to spec a GFX card now, I read on the Hyperspin forums that the GFX card wasnt too important and that Hyperspin didnt need a fancy graphics card, it just required a decent CPU and ram, but im now finding a lot of conflicting posts about this, so I am now unsure as to what I need to get!!

The Taito X Collection they say (Newer of the EMUs available) prefers Nvidia and to stay away from ATI, Sega Emu needs at least a DX11 version card, so I am unsure as to how "OLD" I can get away with

I was looking at getting a card from around the 6890 range, a couple of years old now, but its all got very confusing now!

Last edited:

afoster

I've ordered all of my stuff now.. Changed a few components around though, so will do an updated post with exact parts some other time. The parts should be with me tomorrow.

Our requirements are probably a bit different from the sounds of it. My original plan was to create a machine just for the older arcade/console generations (up to SNES/Mega Drive), and it will sit in my living room under the TV. The key factors were for it to be small, quiet and cheap. Original budget was about £350, but that increased (as it always does), which in the end totalled about £450. I later decided I wanted to be able to handle PS1/N64/Dreamcase era, so needed to increase the machine specs a bit.

From the looks of it so far yours will easily handle much more than that!

From my research I think you are correct though - in terms of running Hyperspin the graphics card doesn't factor in much at all. If I remember correctly it uses Flash and doesn't support any GPU Acceleration, so almost all the calculations are done by the processor. That is just for Hyperspin though.. The emulators themselves will make use of the graphics card a lot more.

The Hyperspin forums are still down, but once they're back up and running the members on there will probably be able to help you out better than I can :smashin:

Welz82

Standard Member
Does anyone know if the Acer Revo 3700 (4GB RAM version) will be good for Hyperspin? I'd probably be looking mainly at the 8 and 16 bit era of gaming and Metal Slug!! :thumbsup:

Basically i want to browse the web, watch all my Media and play Hyperspin on one box - can the Revo 3700 do the job?

I was also hoping to have a dual boot going with either 1) Windows 7, or something else that can browse the web? and 2) Openelec - with Hyperspin on XBMC. Assuming it will work on Openelec's version of XBMC? Bit annoying the forum/sites down at the mo :(

Welz82 said:
Does anyone know if the Acer Revo 3700 (4GB RAM version) will be good for Hyperspin? I'd probably be looking mainly at the 8 and 16 bit era of gaming and Metal Slug!! :thumbsup:

Basically i want to browse the web, watch all my Media and play Hyperspin on one box - can the Revo 3700 do the job?

I was also hoping to have a dual boot going with either 1) Windows 7, or something else that can browse the web? and 2) Openelec - with Hyperspin on XBMC. Assuming it will work on Openelec's version of XBMC? Bit annoying the forum/sites down at the mo :(

I have a Revo 3610 (earlier but similar spec with 2GB ram) and I find it a little sluggish with the hyperspin (hs) interface, it is possible to disable some of the features but the full fat hs experience is the reason you install it in the first place. 8/16 bit machines are ok & the Revo can do all the other tasks you want but re openelec, I think hs is windows only and openelec is Linux based.

It is possible to integrate emu's into XBMC, not as eye catching as hs but ok and the new XBMCBuntu would be a better option then openelec.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom