1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC for High Definition .ts files

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by phfjones, Jul 11, 2005.

1. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched threads to see if I can solve this, but with no success. Apologies if this has been answered previously.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with 3.0GHz processor and 512Mb Ram, but it only has a Geforce 5200 graphics card in it. I assume this processor and Ram will cope, but please advise if I also need to add to this.

I am looking to connect the PC to my Denon 2805 amp where I can use the component inputs on the amp and watch high def movies on my projector.

Is there a recommended card that I can add to the Dell which will drive HD content and connect via component out? It is being sent to a (superb) 720p Projection Design DLP HD projector. Cheers

Paul

2. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops It should read Denon 2805 amp. typo-sorry!

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can always go back and edit your post!

Anyway, to answer your question:

You could buy an ATI card that supports the component dongle. (9800 and maybe 9600, you'd have to check)

I believe the latest (and expensive!) nVidia cards will work with HDTV but I've only seen these for sale in the states.

Cant you connect via DVI to the pj?

Dave

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I connect my HTPC to PJ via vga cable and set up a simple macro function on remote control to switch both amp and PC channels. I know this does'nt answer your question but it is an option you could use.

5. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chaps,

Post edited!

Two of the reasons I want to use component is that I have a video switching unit in the Denon 2805 and I only want to run one cable up to my projector, which is 10metres away. Also, I spent 150.oo on one of Mark Grants excellent component cables, and want to continue using it.

With regards to the dongle, can I buy this in the UK or US only?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Paul

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Your setup will play high definition content without issues as the work is done by the processor, graphics cards have less involvement in 2d video than in 3d applications. However the 6 and 7 series Nvidia cards now come with support that lessens the burden on CPU's. I think it is called PureVideo.

I bought an ATI 9600XT Ultimate , a passively cooled graphics card favoured by HTPC enthusiasts prior to the arrival of Nvidia 6600's. This came with a component dongle.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one from the states. About £19GBP including P&P.

let me know if you can't find the supplier, I'll try and find my correspondence

Dave

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My Gygabyte 6600GT has a component dongle as well - its a £110 card I got from Scan. I would however recommend the passive cooled version of this card (although mine was faulty) if you can afford to lose the PCI slot adjacent to the PCI-E slot as the fan in my 6600GT is louder then my case fan!! I could not afford to lose the PCI slot so I live with the noise.

Hope this helps!

Tone

9. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does. Thank you,

Paul

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I did the same as you, same amp with component switching. I use an Ati Radeon 9800 pro with the component dongle. The newer ATi cards come with a lead as my other machines X800 had a flylead with it for component so no need for a dongle.

I would have thought any card that can do MPEG2 acceleration will be fine as that's all US HDTV streams are.

11. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pinkprobegt,

As you are using pretty much the same sort of set up, do you recommend the Card, or do you feel you could have bought a lower cost card without losing quality?

Also, Can I confirm the dongle came as part of the standard UK spec or did you order it from the US?
    Paul

12. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your help. I was in the dark this morning, and now I am close to getting what I need!

One last question. Does the memory on the Graphics card help much with playing HD/ TS files. I am looking at the 128Mb 9800 ATI Card.

Cheers

Paul

13. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    OK, well I think the 9800 Pro is fine and can be picked up quite cheaply now. My dongle came from the States (http://www.videocapturecard.com/ati.html I think) and I have it set for 480p/i and 1080i.

I found upgrading from AGP 4x to 8x made a big difference and my system will play 1080i TS files with no frames dropping :) I use Media Player Classic for playback usually.

HTH!

14. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly does, thank you.

Paul

15. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    What exactly did you upgrade when you did this because the general concensus is the difference between x4 and x8 is negligable in pure performance terms. :)

16. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm not sure tbh. I think it was just the gfx card. I went from a Radeon 8500 to a 9800 Pro so not just a direct 4x/8x swap :)