HTPC for beginners

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by MrPez, Dec 27, 2011.

1. MrPez

MrPez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after an HTPC but don't really know much about them.

I don't want anything for gaming, not into that, but I do have a lot of 1080 video that I want to play. At the minute, I have a samsung tv with dlna but its rubbish so I'm giving up and just want an actual computer to play the video and plug it directly into my tv with hdmi.

I also have a lot of music so would like a decent manager for that. Do HTPCs have built in amps or will I need to connect speakers through my existing amp?

So my question is, are there any good pre-built HTPCs or do I have to build one myself? I don't currently have a 3d tv but I would imagine I will before long so would like to future-proof for that.

Also, my laptop is pretty rubbish too so I was hoping to use the htpc for most normal stuff too and just remote desktop to it. Is that appropriate or would I be better to get a cheap netbook for other stuff?

If a self build is the best option, can anyone point me towards some decent sites that have suggested component lists?

Thanks!

2. nuff

nuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I build mine myself and always use http://XBMC as the media player. If you go to the forums at XBMC.org you will find loads of answers that you may have.

This is my current setup......

Asus P5G41T-M LX G41 Socket 775 DDR3 VGA Out 8 Channel.. | Ebuyer.com

Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Module CL9 1.5V | Ebuyer.com X2

Intel® Core)

Sapphire HD 6450 AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 512MB - 11190-01-20G - Scan.co.uk

This is running very well playing all types of media including full blu ray rips

I hope this helps a little, Please ask if you need anymore help. :smashin:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. MrPez

MrPez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll have a look on the xmbc forums too.