• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC, final build with photos inc mediaportal

kj23

Had problems with when building it, turns out it was the RAM, had to test it on another machine. Got all the parts when i had the time off and naturally it all goes wrong and i run out of time. Had to get someone to finish building and testing it for me which was ideal but there you go.
Specs are as follows,
LG GGC-H20L Lightscribe SATA 16xDVD £61.93
1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1, S 1 £73.36
Dlink DWL-G510 54Mbps Wireless PCI 1 £15.51
450W Corsair VX Series PSU, ATX, PS 1 £51.76
AMD Phenom™ X3 8450, Toliman Core, 1 £73.59
Gigabyte GA MA78GM-S2H £62.35
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English £83.66
Antec VERIS Fusion Remote Black - Desktop - micro ATX - no power
supply - black - USB/FireWire/Audio £110.70

I replaced my original PNY RAM with some Corsair, cant remember what type exactly but it cost twice as much....sigh.......

I know i went overboard on a few things but my lack of knowledge, too much time and love of clicking the buy button made me do it.

I'll post images is the second post, sorry if they're too big or too many.

kj23

The components,
2170tLUiMcL__SL500_AA200_.jpg

723884-a.jpg

775308-a.jpg

807037-a.jpg

729076-a.jpg

644038-a.jpg

518661-a.jpg

5448273m.jpg

P0123067_C0000107_P0000000.jpg

kj23

And that's pretty much where i am today. It appears to be working ok although i've not give it much of a workout.
What i'm wanting in to put it in the cabinet that can be seen on the last photo, connected via hdmi to my onkyo 606 and then out with hdmi again to a splitter to be viewed on either my full hd tv or projector.
First problem i've encountered, no sound! Works via tv, even then that didn't appear to work at first but not via onkyo, video is fine though both ways. Got it setup correctly via the onkyo but cant seem to on the htpc, not sure if i'm missing something.
Any help here would be very much appreciated.

kj23

Somehow managed to get audio although only through optical from the htpc to the onkyo, sounds pretty good but not sure why i couldn't get it going with the hmdi cable.
Installed my codecs and new skin for mediaportal, just need to get it all working together and see what i dont need or do that i dont have.

MartinH32

I've had a problem getting audio through the HDMI cable. I have the same M/B and case. I'd be interested to know if you get it to work ok.

I also found for some strange reason that my Onkyo 806 wouldn't always pick up the fact that it was getting a video signal through HDMI, but direct through the plasma tv I've never had an issue.

The whole things quite stable now, and I run tv pack, with DVB-T and DVB-S as my main machine.

Last edited:

kj23

No luck so far but kind of given up for the moment and consider myself lucky to even be getting sound via optical. Would prefer via hdmi to help with cable management but i can live with it. If it's a design flaw or whatever that's pretty crap.

Installed my codecs, used CCCP and AC3 for audio.

Still messing around with mediaportal, tried the MPsteamed skin, taking a bit of getting used to with it all though. Not sure how adaptable the layout and display on it is.

Need to sort out my display too, going to eventually control it via a smaller monitor and watch through a full hd 40" but just using the tv at the moment.
It's 1080x1980 but got the desktop res set at 800x600 as anything bigger and it gets harder to see anything. Full size and it's tiny, not sure how easy that will be to sort out.

devo

Need to sort out my display too, going to eventually control it via a smaller monitor and watch through a full hd 40" but just using the tv at the moment.
It's 1080x1980 but got the desktop res set at 800x600 as anything bigger and it gets harder to see anything. Full size and it's tiny, not sure how easy that will be to sort out.
Try setting the DPI to 120.

Bowder

Standard Member
Somehow managed to get audio although only through optical from the htpc to the onkyo, sounds pretty good but not sure why i couldn't get it going with the hmdi cable.

Have you set it up in vista control panel to use hdmi as default?

kj23

Have you set it up in vista control panel to use hdmi as default?

i did and the audio level/bar thing was moving as if it was playing but it came through my onkyo. it did work through my tv though.
optical is fine but would have prefered hdmi.

kj23

From memory (someone can correct me if wrong): right click on the desktop and go to personalise, somewhere on the left it will let you change the dpi.

I got it, i thought you meant something else. I changed that, it definitely helped but still way to tiny on full hd size and the taskbar along the bottom vanishes at the highest res.

kj23

Still messing around with my settings. Having trouble with the display and getting everything to fit on the desktop. Mediaportal can be a bit of a nightmare too. Had more or less finished the music section then moved my original folder where the music is stored which affected the way it was setup in MP so the layout was all messed up and had to start again.
It's not the way i want it but here are a few pics, more to follow later if it all works,
21-20-51.jpg

21-22-56.jpg

21-23-24.jpg

Blu4KHD

Installed my codecs and new skin for mediaportal, just need to get it all working together and see what i dont need or do that i dont have.

just a thought but have you installed the Realtek 2.13 HDMI audio driver for the onboard ATI 3200. this should sort the HDMI audio problem

kj23

just a thought but have you installed the Realtek 2.13 HDMI audio driver for the onboard ATI 3200. this should sort the HDMI audio problem

i cant even remember what i was doing when i last tried it. had another go, updated that driver which was already there so maybe i did and now i cant even enable the device, it says not plugged in. i possibly changed the setting in bios if there is one.

the dpi and desktop is my new focus. it's a 40" full hd tv, any suggestions what my desktop and font dpi should be at?
it's either, tiny, huge or at the moment a bit of both and it's cut off on both sides of the screen.
it's slightly affected in mediaportal too, some text is a bit squashed in, the rrs ticker on the home page is cut off or whatever. i'm essentialy more bothered it works and outputs video in the right res as eventually i want the htpc to boot up to mediaportal.

kj23

Been tweaking and playing around with MP a bit more, well, more or getting so sick i started again from scratch, went better this time though. Not finished yet though and other things i wish i could change.
17-25-31.png

17-29-39.png

17-27-45.png

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom