• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC expert sound advice required

Craglett

Standard Member
Hi guys

I'm hoping someone with a good understanding of sound quality will be able to answer my question. I'm running a Denon 4306 amp and a Denon DVD-1940 with MA GR20's. When playing CDs using the DVD player I'm really happy with the quality of sound but I also have a HTPC which plays through the same amp and speakers and I've noticed there is a difference in sound quality.

The DVD player passes sound to the amp through a HDMI cable and the HTPC uses a digital coaxial cable to do the same, the amp is set to Pure Direct on both inputs. If both are passing a digital signal, how can they sound different on the same amp and speakers?

For info, the HTPC is running Windows 7 64bit, it's a fresh build with nothing other than drivers and windows updates installed. The mother board is and ASUS P5W DH Deluxe.

Thanks
Craig

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom