HTPC DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Dazzlercee, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother used to have an ATI x1600 HDMI video card in his HTPC that came with an HDMI to DVI adaptor. He never used the adaptor since his projector is HDMI so he just used a HDMI cable.

He has recently changed his video card to a Nvidia 7900GS which has DVI output. Obvioulsy he now needs to convert his DVI from the PC to HDMI for the projector input.

The adaptor was intended by ATI to be plugged into a DVI socket on the back of a TV to provide a HDMI socket. However, my brother needs to convert a DVI output from his PC to a HDMI output for his projector cable to plug in to. When he plugs the adaptor into his PC the PC recognises the projector but he gets no picture, just a blue screen.

This begs the question, is the adaptor one way only (i.e. it can take an incoming signal for a TV etc, but does not pass an outgoing signal)?

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    SHould be both way. All it does is connect the pins, doesn't do anything clever to the signal - DVI and HDMI are the same thing for video, just they use a different connector.

3. harshw

harshw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Any DVI-HDMI adapter works both ways. HDMI and DVI are signal level compatible ( except for HDMI being able to carry AC3 & PCM encoded sound )

In short: HDMI <-> DVI will work both ways except for sound