HTPC Displays Help !

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sidrockrulz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sidrockrulz

sidrockrulz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here starts my issue:

I got myself a Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver.

I am now connected to the receiver via HDMI and things seem to be working fine with all the sound settings.

However, When I am connected from my laptop to my receiver, the receiver is recognized as an external display by my computer and I am having issues with the resolution of my screen. ( I do not have an external monitor ).

My native screen resolution ( On the laptop ) is 1920 x 1200, but the resolution that windows automatically applies on my screen (When the receiver is connected ) is 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p ). While this is a great resolution, I am kind of uncomfartable working with my lowered screen resolution now. This also leaves approx 3/4th of an inch empty black space on the top and bottom of my display.

I have an ATI 5870 Graphics card, and I was able to stretch the 1920 x 1080 resolution to fit my screen ( through the Catalyst Command Center ), but this looks really ugly and stretched out. Is there any way to force a 1920 x 1200 onto my display ?

Also, If i disable the secondary display that Windows detects( Yamaha Receiver ), the sound is cut off too ( Like the receiver is not connected via HDMI at all ! ).

When connected to Windows, my receiver automatically sets to the "Straight" configuration. Is there any way I can change this ?

Anyway to fix the 1920 x 1080 issue ?

Thanks again !

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    So you're not passing through the video to another display? If not then set the fictional display to extended desktop mode rather than clone/mirror, that'll allow you to have two different resolutions.

If you are passing the signal through and want the same thing to be displayed on both screens then it's the latter requirement that would cause your problem rather than anything to do with the amp.

3. sidrockrulz

sidrockrulz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hello EndlessWaves,

Nope, there is no Video out from the receiver to a TV.

I do have it set up as an extended display, but while I am using the computer and while gaming, the mouse runs away into the "other" screen and it it annoying !

Is there anyway to overlap the extended displays ?