1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC, Denon 2805 and ATI Component

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PannyAdams, Mar 7, 2005.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Currently my video goes into my Plasma (Panny PW7) by 3 separate inputs:

Pio 868 (Soon to be Denon 2900) DVD - Component
    Sky+ (and PS2 Chained) - RGB (Via JS RGB to VGA box)
    HTPC - VGA

I have also just bought a Denon 2805 Amp that has 3 Component ins and 1 Component out. So I was thinking about taking the plunge and going for video switching through the Denon 2805.

The DVD is already component, I was going to trade the JS RGB->VGA for a JS RGB->YUV box for the Sky+ and finally get the ATI Component Dongle for my 9600 ATI Graphics card. So I have a few questions that haven't been answered by a search:

1. Firstly does anyone have the ATI-component into a PW7, if so what res do you set it to?

2. Will I notice any improvement in image quality?

3. Are there any UK suppliers of the doggle?

4. This is probably a dumb question and I'm not sure what happens via VGA, but how does the ATI deal with playing PAL and NTSC discs does it play them at 50 or 60 hz and doe you get panning judder or does it switch to the correct frequency like the DVD player does?

Thanks

Panny

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd expect very little difference in PQ using component over VGA, assuming you've been feeding deinterlaced all along.

As far as (4) is concerned, you need to manually switch refresh rates, something that Powerstrip makes more convenient than the ATI Control Panel.

3. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

Unless you are striving for convenience over absolute picture quality then you would be better feeding your panel at its native resolution from the HTPC via VGA, and then feed your sources in to the PC (e.g. your Sky+ and PS2 via RGBS) so that they are all being scaled to match your panel.

cheers

4. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    David

So that my wife can use the HTPC it is running Windows Media Center which means that I can't use it as a scaler. Which is why I still have a separate DVD player (no TT or FFDShow in MCE).

The HTPC is mainly used for browsing and as an audio server, it does have quite a few films on, but typically the ones my wife watches to death (Notting Hill etc) while I'm out. Ultimately, I will sacrifice a small amount of PQ for convenience!

Barry

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Barry

In that case I would go for the ATI dongle option then :)