• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC Dell 8300 how to setup ?

Goldfiinger

Established Member
Hi next week im gonna be given a Dell Dimension 8300 and want to set it up as a HTPC,

Two main questions i have

1. Do you need a newish TV to do HTPC ? I currently only have a old Hitachi 32inch but as long as i'm not after a top notch picture it should still work the same as new LCD/HD models?

2. Whats the best way for me to link the PC to the TV ?
The TV's two scart sockets are currently being used, so i guess thats a no no. On the front of the TV I have a S-VHS socket and also a Video in socket. Which should i use?

Sound wise i'm planning to link my PC to my DVD receiver and play it through one of the AUX settings.

Basicaly im not sure the connections on the Dell Dimension 8300 and how im gonna be able to get a picture out of my TV. What do you think i need to do ?

oldnewbie

Established Member
The only thing you can do is wait until you have the pc and see what output connections it has, I would guess it will only have a vga output, therefor you will need to put in a new gfx card ( something like a nvidia 6 or 7 series ) that comes with a breakout cable on it and this will allow you to connect by component or svhs ( stay away from composite its rubbish ). If you are able to upgrade the pc like this it will stand you in good stead for the future when you may upgrade the tv to a lcd because really you want to be connected by vga 1 to 1 pixel mapped or hdmi but if you can connect by component or svhs its a start.:smashin:

oldnewbie

Established Member
not if its just a VGA output, but if i remember correctly the dimension 8300 did have the option of being shipped with a 9800 agp gfx and that had svhs out, so you may be lucky and it might have one fitted:thumbsup: you will just have to wait and see I'm afraid.

Goldfiinger

Established Member
Na its just got Niv onboard graphics 6150 or something.

No convertor out there to convert VGA to SVHS, doh! didn't want to upgrade the graphics just yet :(

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I've been through this process in the past year, and after struggling to get any decent picture via SVHS/S-Video, I bought an LCD TV with both VGA and HDMI input.

Even with SD material, the difference was incredible.

oldnewbie

Established Member
I've been through this process in the past year, and after struggling to get any decent picture via SVHS/S-Video, I bought an LCD TV with both VGA and HDMI input.

Even with SD material, the difference was incredible.

completely agree there, I have mine setup 1366 by 768 dvi to vga on a samsung 32r73 and its spot on but I was just trying to sort something out for goldfiinger on the cheap so he could dip his toe in the water so to speak, as far as I know there is no way of converting vga to svhs, so when you get the pc if there is no svhs out the only option is to upgrade the gfx card I'm afraid. :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom