1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC-deinterlaced tv/video/games consoles

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Mar 10, 2001.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm hoping to get a projector in the next year or so, maybe the successor to the PLV30(PLV60?) or the Sony VW10HT and have a few questions regarding source equipment which I hope some of you guys can help me with.(I like to start planning a year in advance!)

So heres a real mixed bag of questions:

I was originally planning to just use my present DVD player with the projector but after reading the posts on HTPC's I have changed my mind and fell that this is the way to go.
    1. What I want to know or confirm is whether a DTV card as well as having a built in tuner, has composite and S-Video inputs for connecting a vhs deck and/or PS2 for example?
    2. Does it deinterlace/prog scan the TV,Video and PS2 signals?
    3. Does it have several inputs to connect these sources all at the same time or would you have to swap cables?
    4. Does the card have its own output to the projector or does the signal go through the graphics card like the DVD-Rom?
    5. Is the output from the DTV and/or graphics card usually sent to the projector via the VGA cable or via Component,RGB,S-Video cable/s?
    6. Does the deinterlacing/prog scanning of sources via HTPC compare favourably with a standalone Video Scaler considering it is significantly cheaper.

I've read some enthusiastic posts about the joys of Console(TimeSplitters) or PC(Unreal Tour. etc)gaming on the big screen and will thus be ensuring that the HTPC(if I get one and finances permitting) will be a high spec machine. Another benefit I could envisage is browsing the internet on a 6 or 7ft screen but have never read any posts regarding this.

7. Have any of you with HTPC's used your PC for this purpose and if so what are the pro's and cons. ie Is it too hard on the eyes perhaps or do your eyes pop out at the sight of a 3ft across female breast!! [​IMG]
    8. D'ila?? projectors. Are they a type of projector like CRT/LCD/DLP or is it just a brand name for one of the afformentioned types.
    9. My Home-cinema room is only 4 metres long so would I see line structure from the source or the LCD chickenwire effect when using a projector(Sony VW10HT) positioned about 3.5-4metres from a 6ft screen and with me sitting at about the same distance?
    10. Does the the Sony VW10HT have to be ceiling mounted with a special bracket or could it be placed on a ceiling height shelf?

Any answers to one/some or all of the above questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance fella's.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!
    HomePage - http://gofree.indigo.ie/~deveney

2. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll have a go at some answers, (and won't be offended if anyone corrects me!).

1. What I want to know or confirm is whether a DTV card as well as having a built in tuner, has composite and S-Video inputs for connecting a vhs deck and/or PS2 for example?

I take it you mean the type of TV cards that Hauppauge produce. If so, I believe they all have composite inputs, and the more expensive ones have S-Video as well.

2. Does it deinterlace/prog scan the TV,Video and PS2 signals?

Don't think so. You'll need some software like DTV to do that ( http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net ).

3. Does it have several inputs to connect these sources all at the same time or would you have to swap cables?

I think you'll have to swap cables (or better still, get a switchbox).

4. Does the card have its own output to the projector or does the signal go through the graphics card like the DVD-Rom?

There are some all-in-one cards, but generally you'd use a separate graphics card for output.

5. Is the output from the DTV and/or graphics card usually sent to the projector via the VGA cable or via Component,RGB,S-Video cable/s?

Best quality will generally be found from using the normal VGA output.

6. Does the deinterlacing/prog scanning of sources via HTPC compare favourably with a standalone Video Scaler considering it is significantly cheaper.

I think this is open to debate. Certainly, the HTPC solution allows you to do some things that a Video Scaler wouldn't normally allow (such as having refresh rate an exact multiple of the DVD frame rate, eg 24hz x3 = 72Hz).

7. Have any of you with HTPC's used your PC for this purpose and if so what are the pro's and cons. ie Is it too hard on the eyes perhaps or do your eyes pop out at the sight of a 3ft across female breast!!

Don't have one. Sorry.

8. D'ila?? projectors. Are they a type of projector like CRT/LCD/DLP or is it just a brand name for one of the afformentioned types.

Don't know.

9. My Home-cinema room is only 4 metres long so would I see line structure from the source or the LCD chickenwire effect when using a projector(Sony VW10HT) positioned about 3.5-4metres from a 6ft screen and with me sitting at about the same distance?

That's about the distances involved with my VW10HT, and I think it is fine.

10. Does the Sony VW10HT have to be ceiling mounted with a special bracket or could it be placed on a ceiling height shelf?

To use a ceiling height shelf (don't quite understand that), you'd need to sit the projector upside down, which I'm not sure would be a good idea. If you sit it normal way up on a shelf, the bottom of the picture is level with the centre of the lens. That's why it is attached to the ceiling upside down.

Hope that helps! Specific VW10HT info can be found from the dedicated forum at http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum =DCForumID27&conf=conference (click on the projector for the FAQ)

ps. Most impressed with website, especially given the authoring software!

[This message has been edited by Richard Harnwell (edited 10-03-2001).]

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "1. What I want to know or confirm is whether a DTV card as well as having a built in tuner, has composite and S-Video inputs for connecting a vhs deck and/or PS2 for example?"

Yes. The cheaper cards usually have just composite in, the up-market cards usually have s-video as well.

"2. Does it deinterlace/prog scan the TV,Video and PS2 signals?"

The card does not deinterlace the signal, this is done in software. WinDVD and PowerDVD are the leading software DVD players and they will do deinterlacing. To deinterlace your vcr/games console input you will need bTV or dTV. I'm sure Jenz will jump in and give you advice on using these.

"3. Does it have several inputs to connect these sources all at the same time or would you have to swap cables?"

Typical cards have only one of each type of input, you will most likely need to swap leads or get a switch box.

"4. Does the card have its own output to the projector or does the signal go through the graphics card like the DVD-Rom?"

Some cards have an output but you will need to use the output from the VGA card if you want the signal deinterlaced and scaled.

"5. Is the output from the DTV and/or graphics card usually sent to the projector via the VGA cable or via Component,RGB,S-Video cable/s?"

Depends on your projector. Some projectors have the 15 pin VGA connector and/or separate component/RGB inputs. Either way the output from your graphics card will be with a standard VGA connector, the other end of the cable will have the correct connector to match your projector. It is possible to buy VGA to BNC breakout cables check out this link. www.bettercables.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi

"6. Does the deinterlacing/prog scanning of sources via HTPC compare favourably with a standalone Video Scaler considering it is significantly cheaper."

Using the software DVD players (WinDVD, PowerDVD etc) generally speaking, the output image will be superior to a standalone Video Scaler. The exception is the really top end Fajouga and Snell and Wilcox processors. These are considered to have a more 'film-like' image although technically, the quality of the image can't quite match a pc because the signal goes through a digital/analogue/digital conversion from the DVD player. Richard A will be able to give you more information about this than you ever wanted to know.

"I've read some enthusiastic posts about the joys of Console(TimeSplitters) or PC(Unreal Tour. etc)gaming on the big screen and will thus be ensuring that the HTPC(if I get one and finances permitting) will be a high spec machine. Another benefit I could envisage is browsing the internet on a 6 or 7ft screen but have never read any posts regarding this."

I have read a couple of post on various forums about using it for 'surfing' can't say it's been of interest to me, it's not as convienient as sitting at a proper pc. Depending on the projector you go for the picture sharpness probably won't match a good quality monitor.

"7. Have any of you with HTPC's used your PC for this purpose and if so what are the pro's and cons. ie Is it too hard on the eyes perhaps or do your eyes pop out at the sight of a 3ft across female breast!! "

I've pretty much given up with my HTPC, it's just too much hassle. I use a separate video processor.

"8. D'ila?? projectors. Are they a type of projector like CRT/LCD/DLP or is it just a brand name for one of the afformentioned types."

D-ILA. Direct Drive Image Light Amplification. It's a hybrid system of crt/lcd, search www.avsforum.com for more information.

"9. My Home-cinema room is only 4 metres long so would I see line structure from the source or the LCD chickenwire effect when using a projector(Sony VW10HT) positioned about 3.5-4metres from a 6ft screen and with me sitting at about the same distance?"

You shouldn't see any chicken-wire effect with that projector.

"10. Does the the Sony VW10HT have to be ceiling mounted with a special bracket or could it be placed on a ceiling height shelf?"

It's possible to mount it on a shelf if you so wish.

Regards
    Gary