1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

HTPC connections

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jameson_uk, Dec 9, 2004.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Just about finished my HTPC rig but this is going to need a major re-working off connections.

Currently have RGB out on cable box into a converter to S-Video which goes into Denon 2803 receiver (analog audio). I also have a DVD player which connects to the receiver via S-Video (digital audio).

Now I want to get rid of the old DVD player and replace it with my new HTPC rig which will take the cable box as an input. I guess this means I am stuck with the RGB to S-Video converter as I have only seen TV cards with S-Video inputs.

The problem I know have is that I have a fairly old 29" TV (6 years) which only has Scart inputs (1xS-Video & 1xRGB) so I was planning on using the S-Video out on my radeon 9200. This however is a bit pants.

I would ideally like to connect the PC to the TV via the receiver (although this is not too important as the PC will now be the only source). The receiver accepts S-Video and component video inputs.

A little searching the net appears to give me a few options.

1. Get a new radeon graphics card and their DVI to HDTV converters to feed receiver. Then buy a component to RGB converter to feed TV
    2. get a scan converter like this
    3. have crap TV output

The last option is not really an option but the first two both weigh in at over £100. Option 1 would end up converting the RGB cable signal into S-Video, then into component and then back into RGB which can't be good. Option 2 is a bit of an unknown, I am not sure if the output is going to be much better than the standard output a graphics card.

There is so much conflicting advice out there and would appeciate comments on what the best plan of attack is.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

To answer your first question (RGBs capture card) - there is such a beast. Do a google for Sweetspot.

Also, Radeon 9x00 series cards can output RGB+Composite Sync (SCART standard) from their VGA connector. You just need to make up a cable.

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    thanks Will give it a go.

I will build a cable to see what it is like but this means I do not have video switching on the amp. This is looking the way I need to go but if anyone has any ideas that would give me good picture quality and video switching it would be great.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    This does look like good kit but I am a bit confused how to fit it all together.

The cable box has RGB output not component and whilst it is not clear from here I am guessing that the three phone sockets handle RGB and component ??

Anyway, this takes would take the input from the cable box but what do I do about hardware encoding. I probably should have mentioned it before but I wanted to use a PVR250 for the encoding.

Assuming this option is simply to use the card to accept RGB and use software encoding is there really going to be a big (read £150) difference over the signal I currently have from my cable box which is RGB converted to S-Video into a PVR250 ??

6. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Would be very nice but don't have the money at the minute. All the hassle I am having connecting the bloody thing up is making me think that a nice plasma screen with DVI input would be worth it :)

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

The Sweetspot can accept composite, component, s-video or RGB + sync.

If you want the hardware encoding, stick with your PVR250 on S-Video though. The Sweetspot is a pure capture card. Any encoding would need to be done in software.

To answer your other question - I'd forget about video switching through the amplifier. The compromises it introduces are simply not worth it. As you can get a pure RGB signal from your Radeon to the TV, you should make the most of it!

What DVD player do you have? You may well find you will get better results using your PC as a DVD player once you've got the VGA > SCART cable made up.

Take a look at Theatertek DVD and Zoomplayer.

Steve

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I have a pioneer DV636 and it has served me well over the years but I sat on it a while ago :blush: and now dics do not site flat in it and it sometimes sounds like it is going to take off (which is not good during quiet tense moments!!)

I was planning on doing this anyway as other than the noise, there is not much space left under the TV

Will check them out

Thanks

9. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Be advised zoom doesn't come with any decoders of its own, but instead you can mix and match your own video/audio decoders, with post processing (usually FFDSHOW) whilst using its super powerful/flexible front end.