1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC component choices

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by m455954, Jan 12, 2003.

1. m455954

m455954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

I'm putting together the component list for my second HTPC. My first HTPC was contrained by AV rack space and so I ended up with an 'OK' solution for playback only. My VCR has just died and that means I can use the rack space it took up and do a proper HTPC with PVR and Playback.

I'll mainly be recording from a Sky+ box, which can pump dolby digital out via optical SP/DIF, so I'm looking for a sound card with optical SP/DIF input. I'm going to be using an HTPC case (lmp-pc) so that rules out the Audigy Platinum as that requires a 5 1/4" front mounted bay, and I would really like to avoid having another box so the Platinum EX is out. Are there any outher good sound cards out there with optical SP/DIF input on the back plate? Obviously SP/DIF output is a must too (either optical or coax)

My previous HTPC used its on-board nvidia nforce chipset graphics and a daughter card for TV-OUT. This did not give me any control of the overscan, so I ended up with a black border all around the outside of the desktop TV image. Which graphics cards allow you to modify overscan so the TV-OUT image will fill the screen?

Is it better to have a seperate capture card or would an all-in-wonder or Ti4600 type solution with both TV-IN and TV-OUT be ok?

Since I have a widescreen TV are there any cards that allow a widescreen TV-OUT resolution or am I stuck with 800 x 600?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Blackburn

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Free bump... Good questions which would help me too if anybody can answer :)

Ta

3. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at this tool. http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm It should help to remove the border on the nvidia card.

ATI cards require a registry tweak in order to enable the overscan option. At least they always used too, I'm not sure if this is now enabled by default. It any case, it is possible.

Cheers, Beastie.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as regards to the capture solution..... for a quality capture, i think most will agree that a separate capure card will be superior.

ad