HTPC case

paaulyb

Looking to upgrade my HTPC case and would like some recomendations to look at.

Currently using a hiper media case ( the slim one) which I like the look of but although it works fine I am concerned by the heat and the fan does it's nut when worked hard.

I have space for anything up to amp size and it must be black.
Not too bothered about a screen as I don't see the point of peering at that when the tv is next to it.

Would like an inbuilt infra red port as I use my harmony 1000 to control it and the current usb one I use is unsightly and has a nasty habit of locking up.

Using a gigabyte matx board with on board sound and graphics at the moment with an amd 4850e processor.
Have got optical/hdmi option to an amp so would probably not change the sound card but I may be looking to upgrade the graphics card at a later date.

Over to you guys
Thanks
Paul

garnat

I have just decided on a silverstone CW02, nice and big and great build quality according to most people.

superdon

Looking to upgrade my HTPC case and would like some recomendations to look at.

Currently using a hiper media case ( the slim one) which I like the look of but although it works fine I am concerned by the heat and the fan does it's nut when worked hard.

I have space for anything up to amp size and it must be black.
Not too bothered about a screen as I don't see the point of peering at that when the tv is next to it.

Would like an inbuilt infra red port as I use my harmony 1000 to control it and the current usb one I use is unsightly and has a nasty habit of locking up.

Using a gigabyte matx board with on board sound and graphics at the moment with an amd 4850e processor.
Have got optical/hdmi option to an amp so would probably not change the sound card but I may be looking to upgrade the graphics card at a later date.

Over to you guys
Thanks
Paul

Which USB port are you using? I am just sorting a HTPC system and wanted to save the ££ by buying a case without built in IR and then buying a USB IR. So, this would really help.

KalC

Recently bought a Silverstone LC17 case, cheap MCE remote and receiver off ebay and it all works flawlessly with my Harmony. Job done :smashin:

Ci4N

I have just decided on a silverstone CW02, nice and big and great build quality according to most people.

Yeah but that's Silverstone's flagship case, it's fairly pricey.

You might like the aforementioned LC17, or maybe an Antec Fusion (there's an mATX one and an ATX one, ATX one is called Fusion Max) or to really move things up, I've heard good things about the Zalman HD160+.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Built my first HD HTPC around Fusion 430W Silver (uATX, full-height PCI, iMon VFD and IR receiver, plus space for three 3.5" HDs, two in standard bays and one behind iMon receiver using a 5.25 to 3.5" conversion kit) This is the middle-sized Fusion - it has full-height PCI cards but isn't as big as the Max.

Quite like it - but the iMon IR receiver is not good with MC (no coloured button support for Press Red on Freeview, no triple-tap text entry etc.) Not convinced the display is worth it - the software isn't great. However the cheaper Antec branded NSK model doesn't have stealth flaps for optical drives, so I wouldn't recommend that. Don't think I've ever used the volume control on the front...

I swapped out the stock fans for Noctuas with the ULNA cables and the case is even quieter.

My second build was based around a Silverstonetek GD02. Not as deep and not as wide, as the optical drive mounts above the motherboard, no to one side. Quite tricky to mount the optical drive, but the resulting case is quite neat. Haven't tried swapping out case fans yet. Quite cramped to work in.

Probably happier with the GD02. It was more expensive, and I had to buy a PSU, but it looks nicer, and all the front ports are behind a damped cover. Fits in nicely with the rest of my HTPC gear.

sayitpunk

I'm also using a Hiper case.

From the outset I realised that temperature may be an issue, so with this in mind I specified a 5050e, which at 45w wouldn't need much cooling.
I kept the RAM count down to two sticks (2x 2Gb) and only fitted one HDD, Samsung 1Tb F1 which also runs nice and cool. No optical drive is fitted (networked from another PC)

The box runs warm-ish and the fan spins about 1000rpm and never gets noisy.

With the right installation this case is the nuts as it's the neatest (IMO) on the market.

paaulyb

Thanks for all the replies guys
Do like the look of the LC17 but no ir port puts me off
The GD01 looks ok though
Not sure of the GD02 not taken with the styling.
Love the Zalman 160+ may well go for this.
Also like the Antec fusion but I have read there is a problem with the vol knob. Is this still a problem?
Keep the suggestions coming guys

Which USB port are you using? I am just sorting a HTPC system and wanted to save the ££ by buying a case without built in IR and then buying a USB IR. So, this would really help.
I am using the Compro videomate k100 it works great but every now and then locks up red light on all the time and will not accept remote functions. I have to unplug it from the usb port and plug it back in. Might be something to do with a sleep state or something because it only does it when left running.

Sayitpunk. I love the case don't get me wrong and it runs well. In normal use I cannot hear the fan but if everything is off and the pc is running the fan can be heard running pretty hard and the case is warm to the touch. Whilst this doesn't seem to be causing an issue I'm wary of it causing one in the future. Heat kills as I have found out to my cost numerous times.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Love the Zalman 160+ may well go for this.

The Zalman is an excellent case. I have a little mini review in my own build thread with plenty of pics.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom