HTPC case under 150mm high ?

balidey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just realised that my AV stand only has a shelf height of 150mm. So that has ruled out most of the HTPC cases I was looking at.

I want a sleek looking, (pref Black) case. Width and depth is not an issue, but height really is. And I guess it would make top or bottom fans impossible (not sure if any cases have them) but top and bottom air circulation could also be an issue.

So, are there any short cases that fit the bill that people are happy with? Please suggest makes and models and I can search, or please paste links to suitably tall cases.

What height can I sensibly come down to? Are there likely to be PSU issues?

Thanks.

EDIT: should probably add that nothing has been bought yet, but I intend to run a pinnacle 7010ix with twin DVB S and T inputs. I will use onboard GFX and sound. So no additional cards for those. Probably only have one disc drive and one (maybe 2) HDD. So not much needs to go in the case.

Last edited:
Thanks, the antec fusion looks like it fits the bill, about 140mm high (flipping close!)

Just been looking at Silverstone ML02 and LC19 and Hyper Media HMC-2K's but they all seem to go to the other extreme and are very slim.

Will keep my eyes peeled for a fusion.

Unless any other suggestions come forward.

The Antec fits the bill perfectly as it still allows full height cards (JUST). And the TV card you are looking at is full height. So be careful you do not end up with a half height case or you will run into problems.

What about using an old VCR (case)? A bit of hacking about required, but I've done it recently. Was asked to put some pics up on another tread which I will do at the weekend. Key for me was to use a small, silent power supply (pico), but works a treat ! :thumbsup:

Personally, I prefer slim HTPC cases and by "slim" I mean around 100mm. I've been keeping a list:

Moneual 312
Moneual 301
Lian-Li PC-C37B Muse
Silverstone LC11 and LC11 M
ASUS Pundit Barebones

I was going to knock up a table of things like, full hieght/half height, how many disks etc.

What about using an old VCR (case)? A bit of hacking about required, but I've done it recently. Was asked to put some pics up on another tread which I will do at the weekend. Key for me was to use a small, silent power supply (pico), but works a treat ! :thumbsup:

Yes, get them pics up ASAP. I love a challenge and a DIY project would be nice.

Antec Minuet 350w - 9.4cm(H) x 31.9(W) x 43.9(D)

I had an issue with getting a TV Sat Card but I just hacked the backplate of a Pinnacle 4000i to make it fit.

Thanks guys (and any gals??) for those suggestions.

So glad I ran a tape over my shelf before spending any cash :oops:

Personally, I prefer slim HTPC cases and by "slim" I mean around 100mm. I've been keeping a list:

Moneual 312
Moneual 301
Lian-Li PC-C37B Muse
Silverstone LC11 and LC11 M
ASUS Pundit Barebones

I was going to knock up a table of things like, full hieght/half height, how many disks etc.

yes that would be ideal

The biggest pain i find is not the height but the depth surely it cant be hard to have more width and less depth

I'm about to order the Antec Fusion Remote Black too... has anyone found a better price than £110 delivered?

The black one seems rare!

I've basically done the same as the above poster and decided to re-arrange things rather than having to worry about riser cards etc.. plus the missus liked the Antec one!

Good thinking :thumbsup:.

I had a crazy idea the other day, I was considering buiding one in a coffee table with a vga/dvi port on the underneath or side and a flip out 15" tft!... I think it would be relativly easy but heat would be a concern. I may have a go in the not to distant future though :rotfl:.

Stuart.

I had a crazy idea the other day, I was considering buiding one in a coffee table with a vga/dvi port on the underneath or side and a flip out 15" tft!... I think it would be relativly easy but heat would be a concern. I may have a go in the not to distant future though :rotfl:.

Stuart.

Yeah, have thought similar in the past. Heat is always a problem, hence my component choice. Pics below!

OK, pics taken on an iPhone so not great but you get the idea....

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 692

Stuart.

Have a look at this then....

Doug's Quiet Wood Case PC | silentpcreview.com

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom