HTPC card for light gaming and 3d

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by m11nch, Aug 29, 2012.

1. m11nch

m11nch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I am hoping to get a upgrade on my rig at the moment I've got an i3 hd2000 but was hoping to stick a nice shiny new card in it so to play skrim and batman AA but it's damn confusing out there I am thinking of 6850 or 550ti but I have all my 3d blue rays
    On the computer and not sure what cards are 3d ready at point of purchase.
    As I've seen you have to buy software or more 3d glasses to make it work (confused)
    Also what would be best for 3d gaming ? I've got a budget of around £100
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    What 3d format does your screen want the content in?

For £100 the 6850 or 7770 is your best bet, the 550ti is a bit slower but not too much so if you end up needing nVidia for your TV's 3D.

3. m11nch

m11nch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive got a Samsung 64d8000 plasma on the other end so it can be any format I believe but don't amd and nvidea both need drivers or such to play 3d content??

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    I looked up the TV and if it's this one it mentions HDMI 1.4 standard 3D so that's probably the best format to feed it.

You're right that it's confusing, there's not much information available and that which is available is often not clear what it's referring to.

And you need to decide on whether you're after 3d Blu-rays or 3d content in general. As far as I can tell 3d blu-ray needs no additional software (other than the player software of course) but 3d gaming does need the IZ3d/TriDef/3DTV Play middleware.

Perhaps check the blu-ray player software you're using and see what that lists as it's system requirements?