HTPC build with more to follow...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gregja, Jun 10, 2015.

1. gregja

gregja
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys let me introduce myself my name is Greg I have lurked here for years so thought it was about time I joined the party. You find me at the beginning of my Home Cinema build which will hopefully prove to be both cost effective and of a decent standard.

I have just finished building my HTPC which is going to serve as the hub of the whole system. Its running media portal and fully controlled by a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote control the spec is as follows:

Fractal Design Node 605 case
    Asus Z97M-Plus Motherboard
    Intel i7 4790k Processor
    Corsair 16gb DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series RAM
    OCZ Agility 3 64gb SSD running Windows 7 Ultimate
    500gb generic HD for media storage (soon to be upgraded)
    Corsair CS650M PSU
    Panasonic Blu-Ray RW optical drive
    Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard
    Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote control

I still need to buy a DVB card and large HDD. The Harmony is configured to control it via Bluetooth and the PS3 Control hack. It works great and I'm very happy with how it has turned out, its slightly over engineered but it will be out of date one day. I've just picked up my AVR the Onkyo TX-NR808 which I bought from Richer Sounds in Leeds with 12m warranty not bad really for £270. Unfortunately the only speakers I have at the moment are the Bose AM5 kit, don't hate me they serve a purpose when you have little children with wandering fingers.

So obviously they are getting replaced the plan is to get 4x Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and the matching centre speaker. I'm undecided on the sub though my heart wants a Velodyne EQ-Max 12 but I'm easy going on that so feel free to give guidance. My screen is a trusty old Panasonic th42px80b which I'm planning to replace with a Pioneer Kuro I'll just have to wait for the right one to come along (pdp-lx6090)

Anyway here are some pics, once I have all the equipment set up I plan on redecorating to suit but for now have a butchers :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Nice setup but I would have gone for a much bigger SSD, especially considering how much cheaper they are now. I have a couple of media pc's with slightly larger SSD's and I regularly have to perform house keeping because windows like to accumulate so much crap, particularly left overs from Windows updates. You'll also lose 16gb to the hibernation file unless you turn that off.

3. gregja

gregja
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks mate yes I turned my hibernation off my windows file is around 30gb both the hard drives came from my old computer the 500gb is out of a sky+ box :) but already had all my films and media on however its only got about 50gb left. I thought about getting 2x WD Red 2tb drives for storage. I hope to configure it to act as a server for other tvs in other rooms but I haven't done enough research yet for that but I'm sure I'll figure it out :)

4. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    When that radiator is on, will the fan be sucking warm air into the case?

5. gregja

gregja
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your right mate yes as it stands now but the radiator is off at the moment and I also plan on rehousing the htpc, avr and CD player in a cabinet. But yes your right potentially a disaster in the making one of the reasons I went for an i7 processor was to keep heat and can noise down as it doesn't even break a sweat at the moment.