HTPC Build Failure

ChrisArt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just built my first PC and the thing I feared most has happened - I plugged it in and nothing happened.
The case is a Zalman HD160+ and the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H.
When I first plugged it in and switched on the power at the back the LCD panel at the front lit up. When I pushed the power button at the front one of the back fans briefly spun round for a couple of seconds and then stopped. Nothing else happened.
I checked all my connections and realised I hadn't connected the 2X4 12v power cables to the motherboard so I presumed this was the problem. But after I connected these and tried again I got exactly the same results.
Is my motherboard dead? If so is there any way to confirm this before getting a replacement?

Well that's a relief - I've found the problem. I had plugged the LCD PCB from the front panel of the case into the speaker socket of the motherboard (well it was late). I plugged it into a USB socket this morning and the PC booted.
I'm surprised that putting the LCD PCB had such catastrophic effects on every component. I didn't even have any power to the DVD drive.

Where are the build pics and all the build details and specs? I am interested in what you have done with your case - I have the same one.

Well that's a relief - I've found the problem. I had plugged the LCD PCB from the front panel of the case into the speaker socket of the motherboard (well it was late). I plugged it into a USB socket this morning and the PC booted.
I'm surprised that putting the LCD PCB had such catastrophic effects on every component. I didn't even have any power to the DVD drive.

Your lucky nothing's wrong and everything is running fine!

Theydon,
Sorry I haven’t done any pics. I’ll post some this week if I get time. The wife is starting to question the amount of time I have devoted to this over the last few days. I have tried to argue that setting up a home entertainment system is just as much of an essential household chore as cleaning the toilet but she thinks that I am having too much fun for it to count.

My build details are:

Case: Zalman HD160+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom X3 705E 2.5GHz
Cooler: Mini Ninja
Memory: 2 X Kingston 2Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Hard Drive: 1 TB Samsung HD103UJ
Optical Drive: LG CH08LS10 blue ray
PSU: Corsair 450W VX Series
TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD 500

I had intended to wait until Amazon send me my copy of Windows 7 before installing an operating system but once I had it built and got it to boot there was no way I could ignore the ‘insert system disk’ instruction for two weeks so I put XP on it temporarily and had a play.

Initially the CPU fan didn’t work. I tried changing the BIOS settings for the CPU fan so that it would run constantly but that didn’t help . Then I removed the fan and Ninja and re-installed them and it started working so it may have just been a dodgy fan connection.
I saw that in your build you have replaced the Ninja and case fans with Sharkoons. Has that made a big difference? My PC is louder than I had hoped although it is currently sat next to me on a desk so it may be better once it is seven feet away under the TV.

The only remaining issue I have is that I can’t get the audio SPDIF output socket on the motherboard to work. In the Gigabyte manual it says that the motherboard supports S/PDIF in/out but you need to buy a cable and these seem hard to get hold of. I am planning on using an HDMI connection from my PC to the TV and then optical from the TV to my amp so I may forget about it for now.

All I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse. I know that people like the Dinovo Edge but it does seem very expensive – I’m not sure how relaxed I will be about seeing my six-year-old’s sticky fingers all over it.

All I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse. I know that people like the Dinovo Edge but it does seem very expensive – I’m not sure how relaxed I will be about seeing my six-year-old’s sticky fingers all over it.

It cleans very easily and stays looking nice, I have 8, 6 and 3yr old girls!

You are right though it is expensive, but there is a very good reason for that - incredibly good quality product.

I was considering the Dinovo Mini as I wasn't sure it was worth getting a high-quality full-size keyboard for an HTPC. Will I be doing enough typing to justify it? The only thing that puts me off the Mini is that there seems to be an issue with it locking up when your PC goes on standby.

The only remaining issue I have is that I can't get the audio SPDIF output socket on the motherboard to work. In the Gigabyte manual it says that the motherboard supports S/PDIF in/out but you need to buy a cable and these seem hard to get hold of. I am planning on using an HDMI connection from my PC to the TV and then optical from the TV to my amp so I may forget about it for now.

My friend I might be able to help, ring Gigabyte UK on 01908322878 and ask for Sales, I think the In/Out cable is £6 delivered although payment is by cheque or PO if I'm correct, anyway give them a ring!

I wasn't sure to which one it is you're looking for but take it to be the SPDIF In/Out here?: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Accessory

Anyway, hope it's sorted!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom