1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC build experiences

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, May 8, 2002.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    So far I've only assembled the hardware : didn't have time to get the OS installed that happens tonight.

spec is

Asus TUSL2-C mobo
    PIII tualatin 1.13GHz
    512M PC133 ram (pinched out of my other machine)
    Radeon VE 32M ( no fan on board)
    Audiophile 2496
    seagate barracuda 40Gb ata100 7200RPM
    Liteon dvd drive
    Floppy ( shared with my other PC I'll use it and iinstall it as and when I need it)
    QuietPC PSU 300W
    silent drive HD drive enclosure ( unimpressive)
    Zalman flower heatsink and fan
    Viper desktop case ( does the job but its not very nice to be honest)

The build itself was actually a piece of cake with the exception of the heatsink installation. The unit comes with two retaining clips which look identical. However I spent a good 40 minutes trying to clamp the thing to the processor during which time I had to prise the clamp out of the heatsink with the result that I found my index finger jammed in between the razor sharp blades: very nasty be careful. Using the other clamp I found it fitted in to the heatsink perfectly and attached it to the processor ( with a little bending of the clamp) in about 1 minute.

turning it on what do you know the power light lights up and the fans start spinning and the speaker beeps it hasn't got an input device connected.

Apart from the good news about the power light it is very very quiet: with the TV on in the background 10 feet away with the volume down really low I couldn't hear the PC at all and only the power light and the fans visibly spinning within the open case gave any indication it was powered up. So far so good. Software tonight : luckily my Theatertek disc arrived today so I'll no doubt spend the next few weeks trying to get all the bits talking the same langusge.

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh if only there was such a thing as a real babel fish :D

Good luck Keith!!

Steve

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Guess I was lucky picking the correct clamp for the flower first time....

My TT disc arrived this morning too! Busy tonight though so it'llhave to wait!

Gordon

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Well just installed W2K on the machine : no problems. The lack of an ata100 driver on the W2K disc worried me but it just treated the drive as an ata66 for the install ( unlike when I set up my A7V athlon system! ).

However slight problem I'm unable to read the asus driver cd that came with the motherboard : I've tried it in two different machines now and can only assume its a duff disc. Now I have downloaded an ata100 driver for the TUSL2-C so I'll burn that to CD on my PC along with service pack 2 for W2K and the latest W2K drivers for both the graphics card and the sound card .
    The disc for the soundcard does not seem to have any W2K drivers on it and I'm reluctant to use an NT driver if there is a newer W2K one out on the net.

I was going to initially install the PC probe software on the asus disc to initially check the performance of the zalman cooler but can't now obviously.

So a bit of downloading and burning to go yet: makes me wish I had them networked!

5. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stevenr, all depends. Difference between a 1.1ghz Tualatin and a 1.6Ghz P4 is vitually zero, any gain is mostly down to memory bandwidth. If you decide to up you bus speed on the Tualatin then you will be puching towards P4 1.8-2Gz speeds.

However the new Nortwood P4's cant be touched for speed by anything at the moment yes including Athlon XP's). However they are really expensive. The thing to remember with the P4 is you need to use the 850 chipset and expensive RAM to get the full amount of speed. Slapping a P4 in a cheap MB with slower RAM is pointless IMHO. Might as well go down the Athlon or Tualatin path if you are going to do that. It a bit like buying a Ferrari with a 2 speed gear box.

If you want ease of use (ie drivers that work, no usb problems) then go the Intel Tualatin route. If you want extra power, and dont mind the heat, take the Athlon XP route. Which ever route you take the cost will be about that same. (XP route might be slighty more if you get one of the fastest XPs)

Regards

Der Pobman

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Top marks to Scan for getting a new driver disc to me less than 24 hours after I complained about the old one. ( its a copy but as long as it works its fine)

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Der Pobman/Anybody, I will be using DScaler in my HCPC and was under the impression that the more horsepower you have the better, given this is it worth going for a P4 Northwood 1.8Ghz or stick with a 1.2Ghz PIII Tualatin.

Steve

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I think you'll find posts to the effect that people are getting along fine with Dscaler on processors under 1Ghz even.

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith.

Steve