HTPC build, do I keep the scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ian Trotter, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Ian Trotter

Ian Trotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking at building a media PC, but not sure if I should keep my Iscan HD+ scaler in the system.

Having had good picture results using the SDI input card / modded DVD player my first assumption was that I should keep using that format. I have taken some steps along this line and bought PC Xcard & SDI output module, coax cables and controllable coax switch box that I have tested for SDI pass through (900Mhz rated components inside) but no other PC parts.

I am now wondering though if the current top spec graphics cards might have been an option straight out with DVI. As the VP is a couple of years old now, has technology easily overtaken it?

In the near future I will be changing my screen to something that will have full 1080 res. and accept native res. over HDCP DVI between 48 - 100 Hz. Does the Pioneer 5000ex have any rivals? Can it do the frequency range?

I'm hoping that I haven't wasted the £300 - £400 :( spent on the parts so far but I would like to progress with the best option.

Ian T.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    My spies tell me the new Panny 50" panel is now shipping and that it is wonderful....so there is some competition for the 5000ex

3. Ian Trotter

Ian Trotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordan,
    Any details of the Panny?

I've just come across Mad Mr H's thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438838
    If I used the SDI out from the PC using this rather than the switch box I have & HD+ scaler would this result in a better picture? in other words anybody got any quality comparisons between the Geffen and the Iscan HD+?

Do I fit into the target market, having SDI DVD player & SDI HTPC feeding a single screen via DVI (I've sold my DVD recorder and would ditch the Pace PVR if I had the HTPC).

At the moment I think that I would still use my Meridian 598 DVD to play movie discs on to utilise the MHR audio link to the 568 processor (this has lip sync problems though). I do intend to load the media box with ripped films so I would try and compare audio quality from the PC (M-Audio Audiophile 192 card on the shopping list)

This has triggered my thoughts to audio sync. the HD+ delays the audio signals passing through it to match the video processing. The Geffen has no audio route so cannot do similarly. Seems like a reason to upgrade to a 'G' series.

Ian T.

4. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

Come on Gordon, give us some more details. :thumbsup:

I'm in the market for a 50" plasma (or bigger) that will allow 50Hz (ish) etc via DVI in native res. Not sure I want a Pioneer so where can we get some info on the new Panny?? Also, when will it arrive in the UK?

Cheers, Gerald. :)

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    Gerald: It is in the UK. It is a local UK dealer I spoke to about it. He has had clients with 5000EX's and he put in a couple of them last week. Supplied by our local hero plasma supplier The Media Factory I believe....By all accounts it looked lovely fed native res at 50 and 60Hz from an off board processor.

Gordon

6. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
  7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks All.

Looks interesting. Where can I find comprehensive specs please.

Who does the calibration??

Gerald. :)

8. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Eh... that would be me :)

Neil