• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC build. A bit oh help please....

bigval

Was going to use the GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G route and use the on board video. But read a few problems about the SD playback with de-interlacing etc.

Now I am thinking I should go for a cheaper board and buy a dedicated HD video card.

Can anyone recommend a good board and vid card combo?

HD 4550 with passive cooling looks ok but has no hdmi output as far as I can see. How would I connect this to my HD TV?

Want to use a low energy CPU like the AMD 5050e

I am assuming the HD4550 will not fit in the antec minuet I wanted?

rest of the build will be 1tb samsung hdd, 4gb pc-6400 (probably) blu-ray/hddvd drive

I almost bought the setup with the on board video route til I read about the sd playback.

I am on a budget so no £100+ motherboard suggestion please. :)

Who would have thought it was so hard lol.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I would still use the same board and add a video card if necessary but I doubt you will. I have three HTPC's around this card and none have had any problems. Always used Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Was going to use the GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G route and use the on board video. But read a few problems about the SD playback with de-interlacing etc.

Now I am thinking I should go for a cheaper board and buy a dedicated HD video card.

Can anyone recommend a good board and vid card combo?

HD 4550 with passive cooling looks ok but has no hdmi output as far as I can see. How would I connect this to my HD TV?

Want to use a low energy CPU like the AMD 5050e

I am assuming the HD4550 will not fit in the antec minuet I wanted?

rest of the build will be 1tb samsung hdd, 4gb pc-6400 (probably) blu-ray/hddvd drive

I almost bought the setup with the on board video route til I read about the sd playback.

I am on a budget so no £100+ motherboard suggestion please. :)

Who would have thought it was so hard lol.

There appear to be two types of HD4550 around... the Gigabyte ones seem to have the HDMI outputs on them, whereas Sapphire appear to do their own that are also low profile (when you remove the VGA port which is usually how these work - and would hence fit in your case) they seem to only have DVI though but supply a DVI - HDMI adaptor which would be fine for your needs... i'd check with the manufacturer/Amazon though as it seems a little hazy!

Sapphire 11141-01-21R HD4550 512MB PCI-E Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I must add though that with my 780g motherboard i've thus far been pretty happy with its performance on SD stuff... but i am tempted to try a 4550 as i watch a lot of HDTV rips from the US shows i like....

Or maybe the HD4350 suits more as that certainly seems to be a Low Profile card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B001KX53E4

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I run a 3650 on a 780 board which has a DVI to HDMI output (special plug) and get sound although I have never experimented with it as I prefer a direct connection from HTPC to AV amp using the analogue outputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom