HTPC Booting

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stellavision, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'm toying with the idea of building an HTPC sometime in the future, but my wife maid some kind of moan about having to wait for the pc to boot instead of simply turning on a dvd player.
    I think I may have read somewhere ages ago that certain HCPC's can be ready to play as soon as you turn it on, a little like a console. Is this correct?
    Would this be using MS Media Centre by any chance?

2. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    just dont turn the HCPC off

3. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't even turn it on and get a fulfilling life... :hiya:

4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    MS Media Centre has nothing to do with it, that requires a full boot. Some motherboards and SFF PCs do come with integrated BIOS that act as basic DVD, MP3 players. They are not particularly customisable and results have varied. Off the top of my head the Toshiba's Qosmio laptops have something similar.

You could also hibinate the PC instead of turning it off which results in much quicker boot times; using standby is also an option although you PC isn't really off in that case. Other than that leaving you PC on all the time is a possible solution.

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm missing someting here but my mce 2.4ghz is not especially fast and boots up in under 40 seconds. is that really too long?

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the whole point of us building these silent PCs was for them to run 24/7 and not be noticeable?

Well thats why i built mine anyway

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If I can build a silent pc, then I suppose leaving it on 24/7 maybe the way to go.
    My present pc which I built last month is hardly silent, although I have tried.
    I fitted it with a Silent Tower HSF, Silent (alledgedly) 400W PSU, the X850 XT has a silencer over the fan, I have a Nexus case fan controller and I have acoustic sound deadening material in the case (lian Li PC60.)

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you turn all fans off with the fan crontroller? if so then maybe you could see where all the noise is coming from

I have just built a Silverstone case system and have Fanless PSU, Fanless Gfx card, A Zalman CPU cooler (20DB) and 1 X 60MM case fan and 1 X 80MM Fan on the case floor under the hard drive

I use a M Cube fan controller to turn the fans right down so there not audible and my temps are pretty good

One thing that did make a big difference though is AMD cool and Quiet, its fantastic before i enabled that i was getting 55c CPU temps idle) now i am getting 41c

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I can turn the fans right down to about 1000 rpm, or unplug them completely.
    I have 2 front inlet fans and top exhaust fan on minimum, and the rear exhaust fan on max. That makes quite a lot of difference. For some reason the top case fan is really noisy when turned up full and I have already changed it for a better one.
    Perhaps one of the errors I made was building a system with a socket 775 Prescott. This latest incarnation of the Pentium 4 runs hotter than it's prdecessors and therefore needs better cooling!
    If I build a HTPC I will look at different proccessors, although I'm starting to wonder if there is any point in having a desktop and HTPC in the same room. I may just water cool this one.

10. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my HTPC setup to switch to "standby" mode (s3 suspend-to-ram) when I push the power button. When I switch it on again its ready to go in <2 sec. Magic!

11. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    LOL. Did you forget the `/` ?

l agree that standby or hibernate will get it up and running in no time