HTPC - best output? longest cable length?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by hoyin, Jan 22, 2005.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creating a HTPC outputting to a Sharp 26" LCD.

Will be using it to play DVDs and freeview TV scaled through the PC.

Will the best PQ be acheived through a DVI input? or component?

I assume DVI as then I can get a 1:1 pixel match?

If this is the case what is the longest DVI cable I can get? Without sacrificing PQ?

I want to use my work PC which would probably require a cable length of about 10-12m.

Is this possible? I have read about copper DVI and optical fibre DVI cables.

It seems optical fibre cables can cover a much larger distance.

Anyway, if someone could provide some clarity on the options available and whether anyone has done something similar.

Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Hello Hoyin

Most LCD display's do seem to favour the Digital (DVI) inputs over the Analogue (YUV) inputs.

Keep in mind though most LCD's are 15:9 not 16:9 so you may have to play around a little to ensure your 'geometry' is good with video.

Our friends at BetterCables can supply HDMI and DVI copper cables in lengths up to 15m that are guaranteed to not degrade signals up to and including 1080P - though the max length you can use in any system is dependent on the DVI graphics card's 'Driver' circuits.

See http://www.hdmiplanet.com

If you run into problems you may have to include/budget for a DVI repeater amp - you have the option of DVI over copper + repeater or DVI over CAT5 with a two box converter.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1207 and http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2225

DVI over Fibre is another option - though quite pricey. I usually start with DVI over copper and if we have problems then look at Repeaters or Fibre - we keep all the options to hand just in case.

Best regards

Joe

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Your links and info were most helpful.

I am glad that I can achieve the 15m run I need without any PQ loss.

However how can I find out about a graphics card's "driver" circuits. DO you have any crads that you can recommend that are up to the job?

I was looking at the ATI Radeon 6800pro .. or is the Geforce the one to have now?

I will be getting a Sharp 26GA4E so it is a proper 16:9 screen

Thanks again.

Ho yin

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Hello hoyin

Probably best to have a look in the 'Tech Talk' Forum further down the page for recommendations on a suitable Graphics card - not something I get to play with too often.

As for testing the 'Driver Circuits' its usually a case of plug it in and see for yourself using a test DVD (AVIA or DVE) - like others we generally supply these long DVI cables on Sale Or Return just in case of problems.

Best regards

Joe