1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC-->Benq 5120 and 15m(50ft) DVI-D cable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lucas, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, after much deliberation I decided to go ahead and get a Benq 5120 shooting a 92" screen.

To get the best picture quality I want to connect it to my HTPC(ATI9600XT) via a long... DVI cable. 15m are needed due to the room topology and to avoid low WAF.

I am worried that, although the Radeon 9600XT is pretty good at sending DVI signals over long distances, there may be problems with the 5120 locking with the signal.

Have any of you 5120 owners come up to any problems with such long DVI cables.

Before I go on and order the DVI cable I would like to know if it is a no-no and opt for component or VGA instead.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

2. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lucas,

I think I read somewhere that its not recommended for a DVI cable to go over 7.5 Metres. Although I think you can buy special cables which go over that. Check Out Lindy.com, they sell lots of cables.

good luck!

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Lucas

You really need to try out any cable your contemplating before you insert it in your ceiling.

BetterCables have 15m DVI cables that will handle 1080P with ease - though your reliant on your source and display to ensure there's enough current to get the signals along the cable.

See http://www.bettercables.com/15me4febecad.html

If you find you have a problem with a cable you can either try a different brand of cable or when all else fails add a DVI signal amp to your set up - the Gefen EXT-DVI-141HD DVI Extender works well and doesn't introduce any visible artefacts.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2195

Both products are HDCP complaint.

Best regards

Joe

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Lindy do cheap half decent DVI leads that can run some distance. But 15m is stretching it and Lindy leads aren't *that* good. Bettercables is the best option (hell they can do 31m now!), I get on better with these than other brands we've tried (Wireworld, QED, Chord, Kimber)

5. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys. That's what I suspected.

I will try DVI to see if it works but I am not prepared to go those heigts (price wise) given that the projector only costs $1000.

It seems that a good compromise would be either component or vga.

Has anyone tried these connections on the Benq 5120?

6. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    I tried DVI at 10 metres with a cheapish cable and was getting blue banding/sparklies. It wouldnt lock the 5120 at any decent (highish) res either. I switched to a 7.5 metre Lindy one and all was fine.

Can you get a high quality demo/loan cable to test with ?