HTPC --> AV receiver query

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by jaymajik, Mar 19, 2006.

1. jaymajik

jaymajik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have currently got my Elonex Artisan connected via VGA to my Panasonic TX 32LXD500, so am relying on the TV speakers for sound/music.

I would now like to connect the Artisan to my Denon 1906 receiver, but have a couple of questions:

(1) does it matter which input on the receiver I conenct the Artisan's sound out to? There is no specific PC inpur (there is DVD, TV, etc.)

(2) am i correct in thinking that I will get a better picture via the VGA connection i currently have or should I connect the HTPC to the recever via component and then the receiver to the TV via component?

thanks in advance

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1) no, the input doesn't matter as there's nothing PC-specific here. If you're using an analog connection then just make sure you don'tuse a 'headphone' output from the PC, you want a 'line out', while for digital (S/PDIF) both optical and coax are standard. The labels on these inputs are often simply to help configuring the inputs in relation to switching on the remote etc.

2) Connecting directly via VGA or indirectly via component will be pretty much indistinguishable in most cases, it's more down to convenience and other potential features such as source-switching and cabling requirements.

3. jaymajik

jaymajik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

My sound card has both SPDIF and optical outputs. Is one better than the other? Which outpt should I use?

Thanks in advance

4. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jaymajik,

I have a similar setup, have connected my HTPC via optical to my pioneer amp, then map the optical port to DVD for source selection. I prefer to use optical, but I don't think there is anything in it.

I connect to my panny using VGA without any problems, I run it at 1368x768 @ 60Hz losing 2 pixels (one on each side of the desktop, but you can't tell).

Cheers.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Either. :)

In theory, coax is better insofar as there are no conversions between electrical and optical domains thus eliminating potential noise injection. OTOH, coax is more susceptible to induced noise than optical. So it's swings and roundabouts, but in either case added noise should be undetectable aurally.

Some 'audiophiles' claim to be able to hear a difference, and maybe in extreme cases they can, but I doubt very much it's of any concern for the vast majority.