HTPC -> AV receiver -> HD TV

rangor gubbins

Standard Member
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

I have at the moment:
Samsung slimfit HDTV
Virgin media straight into the TV via scart
HTPC (MA78GM-S2H motherboard, with HDMI port (incl audio), S/PDIF in/out, DVI-D)
The HTPC acts as my DVD player, film and music player connected to the TV via HDMI. All works well.

I now want to add an AV receiver (or amp) with the ability to do at least 5.1 surround sound.
Budget of less than £100, so I was thinking of a second hand CA Azur 540R. But the only ones i can find are the older versions that don't have HDMI in/out.

Questions:
1. Anyone got any suggestions for other AV amp/receivers that will do the job for less than £100?
2. If i buy the Azur 540R, what is the best way to connect the HTPC?
3. If i have the video straight into the TV via HDMI, and audio via the amp will the video and audio be out of synch?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Although the later versions of the 540 had HMDI they did not do audio over HDMI so you would need to connect the HTPC via optical or coaxial to get 5.1 audio. This would not get you HD audio from blurays but would get you Dolby Digital or DTS. In fact there would be no need to connect the HDMI to the reciever at all since you only have one source so this could go direct to TV.
As for the last question the reciever will have a lip sync function to get the sound/video in sync.
Personally I would look for a reciever that does audio over HDMI so look at ones like the Yamaha 465/467 or Sony 820/800. What speakers do you have or plan to get?

rangor gubbins

Standard Member
Not sure on the speakers yet. will have to do some more searching and see whats available in the 'for sale' sections and on ebay.
Cheers for the other answers. very helpful.

rangor gubbins

Standard Member
would connecting via coaxial or optical give me the same resolution or PQ as via the HDMI as it is now?
I'm not intending to start spending money on blueray for the time being.

dante01

Distinguished Member
would connecting via coaxial or optical give me the same resolution or PQ as via the HDMI as it is now?
I'm not intending to start spending money on blueray for the time being.
S/PDIF coax and optical only convey audio and not video. Separate connections would be needed to convey the video if using S/PDIF for the audio. S/PDIF is also limited to SD quality digital audio while HDMI can convey both HD video as well as HD audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom