HTPC at Node 0: Hardware Requirements

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by NuklearNik, Jan 30, 2009.

1. NuklearNik

NuklearNik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perusing the forums it seems that most, if not all, of the HTPC projects deal with boxes that live under or close to the telly. Apologies if this has already been asked (just point me to the thread:lease:) but let's suppose for some reason I want to put an HTPC, though I suspect more a PC based PVR, at Node 0 so I can share the recordings.

Obviously this means that I'll have a media streamer at each location I want to access my recordings and possibly a NAS for storage. Be that as it may my question is this.

Is it as simple as a PC with tuner cards and appropriate software? In other words, because I am streaming the files to media players, my Node 0 box doesn't need a fancy graphics card, nor does it need a sexy sound card, because these are both handled by the streamers?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks chaps.

2. devo

devo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yep

3. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My HTPC lives in a the study along side all my other computer related stuff. It then goes into a HMDI==>Cat5 converter where it gets piped to the TV where it is convereted back to HDMI. Eventually the plan is to route my HTPC, games computer and SkyHD though a matrix splitter with 5-6 zone output so i can use all the devices in mutiple rooms. IR sorted with an IR extender.

4. NuklearNik

NuklearNik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Devo,

Was that:

'Yep it is that simple!'

Or

'Yep, I'm missing something!'