HTPC - ASrock 330 Or this Mini ITX Bundle

JUICE690

- Mini ITX Bundle £260 mini-itx.com - store - Zotac ION Atom Mini-ITX Motherboards
- Zotac ION-ITX-A Motherboard with Dual Core 1.6GHz Atom N330
- Powerful ION Chipset supports PureVideoHD, PhysX, CUDA, DirectX 10
- Board has integrated Wi-Fi and PSU (external AC Adapter)
- 2GB DDR2 800 RAM included
- M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure
- Measures just 192 x 210 x 62mm (2.5 litres)
- Bootable from USB or HDD
- Optional 2.5in SATA HDD or SSD
- Only one HDD can be fitted due to CPU heatsink size
- All cables required included
- More M350 accessories available

-------------------

- Intel® Atom™ 330 (Dual-Core CPU) £289
ASrock Netop Series ION 330 Black Mini Barebone PC on eBay, also, Desktop PCs, Computing (end time 01-Jul-09 16:08:06 BST)

- NVIDIA® ION™ graphics processor
- 2GB DDR2 800 MHz memory, support dual channel
- NVIDIA® ION™ graphics
- 2.5” HDD 320GB
- DVD Super Multi (Slim type)
- 1 x HDMI (with HDMI to DVI adapter), 1 x D-Sub VGA, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x S/PDIF (Optical)
- Gigabit LAN
- HD Audio 5.1 channel

I'll be running solely running XBMC via Linux using the AEON skin (if either of these will handle it). It needs to be able to play 1080p rips at high bit rate rips.

So which one has more omph (getting technical now!) or are they very similar? I realise the Asrock has a built in HD and DVD burner but I'm not bothered about either of these just want the best bang for my buck(£)

Any advice would be great, thanks.:)

Last edited:

surfermc

They are both based around the same chipset so in theory you should get the same bang from both. They are both new and I've not seen any comparision tests to give any detailed info on the ooomph.

wrt the Asrock you do seem to be getting more for your buck. e.g HDD and DVD.

Personally i've got the Zotac on pre-order, so just waiting for the next delivery, hopefully.

popperton

Standard Member
I've had the Zotac on pre-order thru ebuyer since the middle of May. They keep changing their minds on when they expect it in stock and now have it as discontinued on the web. The product manager says he expects a few in on the 15th of June but I'm beginning to wish i'd just ordered the asrock and an external bluray drive. I'm stuck waiting though as I've already got the case, drive, memory and HDD from Amazon.

I was just going to cancel it and order the 9300 itx wifi and an intel 5200 but this will mean a fan in the psu and a fan on the cpu .

The big attraction of the ionitx is that its passively cooled and has an external PSU. I want it for the bedroom and dont want to have fans keeping me awake.

Scruffie

I was just going to cancel it and order the 9300 itx wifi and an intel 5200 but this will mean a fan in the psu and a fan on the cpu .

The big attraction of the ionitx is that its passively cooled and has an external PSU. I want it for the bedroom and dont want to have fans keeping me awake.

You could use a PicoPsu + external power brick. From what i've read the 150W version should be more than enough if you arent using a discrete gfx card or other power hungry peripherals. So that is 1 noisy fan gone!

popperton

Standard Member
Any idea of someone who has the 150w in stock.

I can only find the 120w but cant see anyone with it in stock

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Looks as if the Zotac solution doesn't have a hard drive or an optical drive. However it may be a bit smaller. The ASRock doesn't appear to have a built in WiFi adaptor, and needs an HDMI to DVI adaptor (though as the chipset doesn't support simultaneous HDMI and DVI output at the same time - the benefits of having both connectors on the back of the mobo are possibly not great...)

AIUI the Zotac Dual Cores can be run without the supplied cooling fan (though I think most reviews have suggested you need to use it in a case with no other cooling solution). The Single Cores are fine cooled entirely passively AIUI.

wHoMe

I think Asrock is the better solution for one it has wake up on USB and the Zotac doesn't, seen a couple of Zotac owners have had stuttering on some content not heard of the same problem with Asrock

popperton

Standard Member
I think Asrock is the better solution for one it has wake up on USB and the Zotac doesn't, seen a couple of Zotac owners have had stuttering on some content not heard of the same problem with Asrock

Well i'll let you know if theres any stuttering. ebuyer have just picked it and upgraded me to Saturday delivery as its been on order for over a month. Should be with me tomorrow. and getting coupled with 2gig ram and an lg bluray/HDdvd drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom