1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC as scaler???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Xeonic, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can a HTPC be used as a scaler/de-interlacer for sources other than DVD? I have a pc with a video in/video out card, and wondered whether you could "improve" signal quality of , say a VHS video source by feeding it in the video-in socket and out of the PC via RGB to a progressive device, like a plasma or projector. This could easily be upscaled to 1024x768, or greater. Has anyone tried this ???

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Have a look at www.dscaler.org.

The program is excellent and getting better all the time. The only real issue is the quality of the capture cards which must be bt8x8 based. One the best cards is the IDS Falcon but its not cheap at around £145+VAT

I do all my TV watching using DScaler which is ouput to an XGA DLP projector.

Jeff

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

I am happy with DScaler, but I do get some noise using the pinacle card! Is the Falcon a lot better, esp being 3 times the price.

Also, what is the KBK modded card? A lot of people rave about it, but KBK seems quite over worked and the cards are hard to get.

At the moment I'm getting slightly better than Pub standard Seleco 320 picture quality from my ITV digi box using composite, I think the main problem is the source as ITV digital pictures are pretty poor!

Nick

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The only person to test both cards (KBKs zoltrix and the Falcon) rated the Falcon as slightly better. Compared to a bog standard card the Falcon should give you a much crisper picture with more vidid colours, but you will probably still see some horizontal noise. BTW if anyone is interested I have a Falcon card going spare. I'm using a loadsamoney SDI solution now (I nearly have it working properly)

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested, but I'm going to stick with the Pinnacle for a season of Rugby League and see how long I can go before I feel an upgrade is needed!

My next upgrade is the M-Audio and a new Amp.

Nick

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this guys very interesting! I found it at http://www.dscaler.com , the org site was empty. I'd heard the name before, and wondered what it was :rolleyes: I see if I can make it work with my 3dfx card...

7. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff, I'll take the card off your hands. Should work great with Sky, iuVCR and my NEC VT540 ;-)

Cheers,
    BJ