HTPC as DD/DTS decoder - definitive software/kit list needed

RichardH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right, I've decided that I'm going to build an HCPC to feed a projector (all still twinkles in the eye). I have also decided that I'm going to continue to use my Naim amplifiers for front channel duty.
So I have decided (I think) to go for a Delta 410 soundcard and do the decoding on the PC, running outputs to the Naims for front channel (plus phantom centre), and have (ideally) 2 stereo power amps for surround and rear surround duty, so I end up with a DTS ES/DD EX capable system.

So, what I want to be sure of is: which DVD player software should I use? Does PowerDVD support the extra rear channels (particularly with that soundcard)?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Richard

Your post implies you will use the hcpc to decode (ie external stuff) but there is no way of doing that at the moment. The only way that the hcpc can do decoding is of a dvd in the dvd drive or something on the hard disk.

I dont know the precise state of play of the software dvd players....powerdvd is meant to do ex/es or whatever......but I beleive there is something not quite right about it......sounds levels seem to be up the left at least. The new version of windvd seems to support the 410 also.....but again the details of which im not sure.

My personal feeling on all of this is that the 410 route is a very good and cheap way of going about things......but there is an awful lot of messing about to be done with it, plus it cant decode anything external. So I will be sticking to an external processor until matters become more clearly defined.

Ad

Thanks for the answer, Buns.
No, I'm only bothered about decoding DVDs - vinyl is meant to be heard as 2 channels, IMHO. Any info re ES and EX decoding of DVDs (that have that encoded, of course!) would be appreciated.

Richard, I am using a Delta 410 driving 5.1 speakers. Powerdvd (the upmarket version) can decode both DD5.1 and DTS to 6 channels. At the moment there is no capability that I know of to decode 7.1, but I believe the 410 can derive them from 5.1 inputs. To be honest I think you'd be better going for a centre, rather than the extra rears - it makes the soundstage more convinving for those not sitting in the perfect position.
Unless you've got really good bass extension in your existing stereo pair, a bass is also useful. I have B&W Nautilus 804, and on some DVD's there's quite a bit of stuff that falls off the bottom on them.

Well, my fronts will be Shahinian Arcs, which go down fairly low, but I'm a bit worried about finding a centre to match, to be honest. I have an old Naim IBL (one of a pair - the other one's got a dead driver) which I'll try out, so may be OK.
I guess 7.1 decoding will come as new versions of PowerDVD etc come out....
I was going to see how it all sounds and then look at a sub, too - it's a big room, so the sub will need to be a beefy boy - in the Heath Robinson style of the rest of this system, I'm considering building one, as the RELs are out of my price range at the moment...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom