1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC and TAG

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by petrolhead, Apr 1, 2003.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure which section to put this is, than amp or the HTPC so will try both. Mods feel free to delete whichever you feel is less suitable.

Ok to my question.

Is there anyone on this forum using a HTPC with a Tag?

If so, hows it been? What soundcard do you use? Is it optiocal/coax. Any problems?

I seem to have a problems when using my HTPC with my AV32R, using coax. Soundcard is a M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Movie plays for approx 5 mins then the Tag looses the signal. The display flassed (48.0KH Top left and the channel markers) as though it is trying to find it. Now thie signal is still there as I have plugged it into my Dennon and it works ok. What I find is that if I select a different input and then go back to the DVD input all is fine and seems to remain fine for the rest of the film.

I have spoken to Tag and they seem to be aware of this problem and suggested that Ver3.8 may help.

Any thoughts

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've used a HCPC with my TAg for over a year with no probs whatsoever. There was the phantom bug that affected one in every so often AV32R's where the digital signal would be lost but I've never had it.

I recently went SDI into HCPC and audio thro' TAG and it's awesome, there cant be much to beat it for sensible money!!

What SW ver are you at? What soundcard, Mobo, Proc, Opsys etc

I'm using an RME Digi 96/8 PAD, TUSL-2, 1.13Ghz P3 Tualatin and XP.

Steve

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Steve

Allan Probin mentioned that you ran a Tag with a HTPC so thanks for the reply.

Whats SDI?

I run Windows 2000 SP3, Theatre Tek 1.5, M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Sound Card feeding Coax to Tag (Ver 3.6). 1Gig PIII, 256 M Ram.

Allan Probin has offered to bring his HTPC round, he is running an RME Digi 96/8 and I wounder if that may help?

How do you connect the HTPC to your Tag, Coax or Optical?

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface, it's an interface that has come down from the Professiohnal Video and broadcast industry. I was using TT (v1.2) but the WAF wasn't great so I bought a Holo3Dgraph card with SDI & Component input, I then bought a Panasonic RA82 modded to output SDI, I get STB convenience with a PQ that is as good if not slightly better than TT1.5 without the juddering.

See here for more info

I started off running an M-Audio Audiophile card before upgrading to the RME and didn't have any problems with that set-up either, are you using the latest drivers?

I connect via coax.

Steve

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    No, I have just downloaded them today :)

I use a Cord digital interconnect and wonder if that also could be contributing to the problem. I am sure Sevenoaks would lend me an other lead to try. Seem strange that once reset it pays for the rest of the film. Also seems strange that its fine with the Denon

6. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a 3.75 version TAG and am just using the on board Spdif at the moment and have not had drop out, although the "volume" seems lower now.

I use the Asus A7N8X deluxe with athlon 2400+ and theatertek with region killer and windows RPC.

May try the RME card.

Rgds

Nathan

p.s. This is so easy to use and you get the access to the ROM features on some disks as well:D