1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

htpc and sky+

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nonikandola, Sep 20, 2005.

1. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am seriously considering a htpc. But am unsure as to how my sky+box will fit in to the system. i wish to use ms media center 2005. as its sky+ im not to bothered about recording it to my pc, but am interested in upscaling sky+ and other video sources such as dvds and divx files.

could someone tell me how i can capture sky to my pc with the best quality.

i have a pioneer pdp435fde plasma.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweetspot

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What features of Sky+ are going to require use of HDCP? Those will will not be able to be used with a PC, there is no way to connect a digitial video input to a PC and most likey won't for some considerable time, if ever.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Robin - at the risk of being picky, there is of course SDI which I currently use.

I think nonikandola is wanting to use the PC as a scaler, in which case DaveP is right. RGB scart into a PC using a Sweetspot capture card, then scaled and improved with Dscaler, is miles better than a straight RGB scart feed from the sky box into a plasma. I know it is because I've done it. Only trouble is you can't do it within MCE2005 :( So my advice would be forget MCE if you're going to be watching TV from Sky and use the Sweetspot instead.

One word of caution - not sure about the inputs on the 435 - does the media box take a PC signal (VGA or DVI)?

SDI is of course better still but much more expensive.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He didn't mention HDCP, He said HTPC!

Dave

6. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i guess i would use sky as an external souce from MCE. i would use prv freeview and dvds and stuff via MCE. i as well as scaling i like the look of the MCE interface

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Nokikandola

in that case have a look at MediaPortal , it is an open source project and has a much bigger range of hardware support than Windows MCE