1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC and iscan pro

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Peter O Sullivan, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hooked up my PC to my Tosh MT1 a few days ago to see what dvd's looked like on it in comparison to my Pioneer 626. Big difference. The PC has a NVIDEA TNT2 graphics card (don't know if you need to know this).
    But my question is would the new Iscan pro produce this type of picture or better if I had one with my DVD player? The main difference I think is the scan lines (not really up todate in the progessive display thing). Is this display the PC gives progressive or what? (probably the dumbest questoin ever)
    Thanks

2. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment specifically on the Iscan Pro as I don't have one, but I have a Quadscan Pro and a HTPC with a GeForce 2MX graphics card. The Quadscan can't quite match the quality of the picture produced by the Quadscan although it's close enough if you don't want to be bothered mucking about using a computer to watch DVD's. A point to bear in mind is that the scaler can also be used for video, cable satellite etc. You could also do this with the PC but you would need to buy a capture card and get a de-interlacing program such as dTV or bTV. Many people have gone down this route and are very happy with it, however, the programs are designed to use capture cards with a specific chipset and so the quality will depend upon the quality of the capture card.

You might want to do a search for the Iscan on the Video Processors section for more info the link is www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi , and yes the output from the PC is progressive.

You will also find more information about dTV and bTV on that site.

Regards
    Gary

3. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the benefit of both, and I have not used the DVDO for quite some time. A good HTPC (keep it simple) is way better than you could ever imagine. I was a sceptic at first, as I thought there was no way that a HTPC would be better than my Sony 7000 & 7700 / DVDo Iscan combo. How wrong was I? I am having a lot of fun with the HTPC. But, it was a special build. No word, office, messenger, Outlook xpress. JUST GOOD OLD HTPC STUFF :D

4. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops. Cookie reset.