1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC and HDMI/DVI/VGA

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Daithi, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm in the process of building my first HTPC (will be running XP media center) and upgrading my projector to an AE700 around christmas too. I haven't bought a graphics card yet and would really like some advice as to what kind of output and cabling I should be looking for. The new panny doesn't do vanilla DVI, just hdmi and vga. I'll need about 15 metres of what ever cable I go for, so was wondering what you all would advise, should I look for a card that outputs hdmi/do a dvi to hdmi conversion/use vga/get a card with component and so save money as I already have theses cables? If i did use component do I lose the ability to pixel match?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can feed an HDMI display from a DVI source, so any ATI or nVidia card will work with the Panny. You'll not find any PC card at present which has a HDMI output and none AFAIK are in the pipeline.

You may want to take a look at this site for a comprehensive discussion of DVI/HDCP/HDMI. :)

For a long DVI->HDMI cable I suggest you try The Media Factory, Joe doesn't list 15m cables but I know he does some very long DVI and I'm pretty sure you can get DVI->HDMI at that length .. they ain't cheap though, I paid £150 for a 9m DVI->DVI to ensure top quality and the ability to go up to 1920x1080i. Drop him an e-mail, he's very helpful in giving you the options available. :smashin:

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use a van dam 10m svga cable (from farnell.co.uk) on my htpc and the picture is absolutely perfect. 1:1 pixel mapping is a doddle with powerstrip , the picture has been scrutinised extensively for noise and interference and absolutely none can be found. My cable is running right along side the power, svideo,composite and scart cables over a 10 m run probalbly the worst case scenario for a cable run and its still perfect. Bought a 10m dvi cable last week and compared it with the vga, I could not tell any difference at all and decided to stick with the vga cable rather thatn rip up all my floor again for no quality improvement as far as i could see ( ps. I have very good eyesight and am very critical of my picture quality so dont just think im a blind Ba****d who cant see the difference ).Another plus is that they only cost about 25 quid compared to 150+ for a dvi.

4. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply lads, I think I may go the cheap route and stick with vga for a while at least, I hate spending lots of cash on cables.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I paid that sort of price because it's guaranteed to be able to handle up to 1920x1080i, lesser cables won't be up to that.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    At the risk of being pedantic, you won't be able to build a HTPC using media centre. You cannot buy the OS separately. If you buy a media centre PC your upgrade possibilities may be very limited.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Um, as noted by someone in another current thread, you now can.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Wow, BG must be losing it.

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cant see the pont of media edition as meedio is the mutts nuts. Even my missus can use it without a pc related disaster occuring

10. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found this cable place if anyone is interested, looks like good value to me.