1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC and digital cable/satellite confusion

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sted, Mar 31, 2005.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I've got NTL digital and am planning to build an HTPC within the next couple of weeks. Lets say i go for Windows MCE 2005. What i'm trying to work out is if there's any point in having two tv capture cards unless i pay extra for an additional NTL box. With 2 NTL boxes i guess it would be the equivalent of Sky +, but more pricey. What i'm after is not this full on expensive set up, but a middle ground where i'd have full control of the NTL box through the Media Center EPG, but then i'd like to also be able to record a terrestrial channel if i'm watching something on NTL. Is this possible? Does this make any sense? Have i made any sense? If you think you know what the hell i'm on about then please respond!

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    You will definitely need two tuners if you want to watch one channel whilst recording another.... you could get two NTL boxes and feed them to two tv cards via s-video....

You could maybe have one NTL box and one analogue or freeview card fed from your aerial - then you would have NTL and terrestial, but don't know how MCE would handle that!

lisa

3. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE wouldn't handle that. It can only have one EPG shared between the two cards, so they both have to be the same (either both analogue or both digital).

When using two analogue cards are used then it will assume that all channels are available on both - so if you're watching TV on one it will try to kick off a background recording on the other - shame if that's the terrestrial one and you want to record Sky1 or something. Currently no way to control which card it uses for which purpose - MCE just picks one for you so you're bound to get problems.

So it's two NTL boxes or nothing for dual-tuner MCE.

Another possibility would be to connect the terrestrial directly to the TV with the NTL going through a single-tuner MCE box. This at least then lets you watch terrestrial while recording NTL through MCE.

4. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dave. Shame Microsoft didn't think of allowing the EPG to control two different inputs - i'd imagine that i have a fairly common set up.