HTPC and CRT questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesthegas

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to build a new setup in a purpose built room this summer. I hope to go the CRT route fed by a HTPC (with Holo3D card). I have some questions about how it is done.

1) Can I connect the HTPC directly to the CRT or do I need something like this http://www.altinex.com/Products/interfaces/DA1910SX.htm ?

2) What does a line doubler/tripler do? Do I need one if I have a HTPC as a scaler/deinterlacer?

Martin

You probably won't need an interface box with the Holo card but it does depend on the projector and the length and qulaity of the cable you use.
The ALternex range of interfaces really were a bit cheap and chearfull but will do the job. An interface box could be required for about three reasons.
1. To bring the signal voltage of the PC back up to a level that suits the projector. (Normally about 1volt) Most PC cards are only designed to send teh signal about a meter.
2. To sort out sync problems which either older projectors can't handle or reduce the sysnc from Horizontal and vertical to combined. (5wires down to 4)
3. Most interfaces allow a local monitor to be attached as well as they have a buffered output so you don't have to disconecting the PJ.

If you are using a PC you will not need a doubler/tripler or scaller. they are used to increase the number of lines from your video source. Standad video fed into a CRT projector will not be good you will be able to see all the horizontal lines of the picture. A line doubler etc fills in the gaps.

Thanks Roland.

It is likely that my HTPC will need a 6 or 7 m cable to connect to the pj. Are there any alternatives to the box I mentioned which aren't so cheap and cheerful?

Martin

With the Holo 3d 10m will be fine.
BArco make a goo interface for about £350
But the real indstry work horse is this at about £400 Procon interface That way you can garentee it is not the weak spot in your system.
but I would try without first (depending on your PJ)

Hello,

not sure which graphic card you are going to use, but check this:

http://www.wisdom-technologies.com/MP-1 Spec.htm

The are quite a few topics about this video signal enhancement upgrade in the American AVSforum. It has very good reviews. It does exactly what Roland was talking about, i.e. increases the voltage output level to suit long cables for CRT projector aplications and it also does some video signal filtering. Also, if features BNC connectors, which is as good as one can get to connect the analogue video source to the projector.

I am thinking of getting this upgrade is I got into the HTPC route.
Not sure if it has the same quality of the hardware Roland is proposing (probably not), but the reviews are very positive. Price is $350 (just upgrade).

I hope it helps.

Pedro

Martin,

There may be some crossed wires here(!). The H3D card has nothing to do with the interface between your HTPC and projector. The H3D is an input card which gives you a wide range of quality connectors (component, SDI, S-video) and has signal de-interlacing (courtesy of the Farohuja (sp!) chip).

Your scaling and output is handled by your video card (usually an ATI Radeon based AGP card). It is this video card that neeeds to be connected to our projector.

I have recently moved my HTPC much further away from my projector and thought I would need some form of signal enhancment/boosting but it appears as if I do not. My PC used to be connected to the projector via a 5m VGA-BNC cable but with the move, I've now added a 20m extension to that. I was sure that would degrade the picture on my Sony 1271 and really just connected up to make sure everything worked. However, I see no image or performance degradation. I did order a very high quality extension cable though (don't ask for source, I forget but a search of the forums will reveal suppliers).

Hope that helps

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom