1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: Analogue & Digital TV Card ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Spy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I am researching the building of an MCE HTPC.

I would like my HTPC to be able to act as a PVR and record both Freeview and from my Sky box. Given this requirement, I assume I will need a Freeview/DVB-T card and an analogue card (e.g. Hauppauge).

Does MCE, and its EPG, suppport one of each card or do they need to both be of the same type for a dual tuner PVR ?

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    MCE only supports one EPG so both tuners have to receive the same channels. You cannot mix digital & analogue. What do you receive on Freeview that you don't have on Sky?

3. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Thanks for the reply Nigel

I need one of each so I can record two digital channels at the same time e.g. ITV 2 and Sky One. The Sky box can only be tuned to one channel at a time

4. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Careful here.. It's easy to fall into the trap that Sky is a digital channel but it's classed as analogue due to the nature of the output from the box (or some other technical gubbins).

Digital includes Freeview

Analogue includes Sky, regular ass television and Cable.

You can't do both at the same time.. You can get a cheapo PVR for your freeview and run it alongside your HTPC but I'd recommend buying 2 Grundig boxes on ebay (check the seller's rep first) as they have s-video out and subscribing to Sky multiroom for an extra tenner a month. This way you can now record one channel (or two channels) at the same time whilst watching one.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hauppauge make a dvb-t and combined analogue card which is media center comaptible, but you can olny use one with media center, i think it's called the HVR