1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC, AE300, Aspect Ratio and Resolutions.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MisterBig, Aug 20, 2003.

1. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have an AE300 connected to my PC as a secondary monitory using the DVI-VGA dongle supplied with my 9700 GFX card. I have it all setup and working but, as is usually the case with PCs, it’s not quite as I’d like it.

Using theatre mode from the overlay tab in advanced display settings I can get media player to behave how I want. It displays any video in full screen on the projector and leaves me the desktop to play with on my monitor. Unfortunately the full screen video on the projector seems to be the wrong aspect ratio.

I assume this is because the resolution of the projector is set 1024*768, the same resolution as my monitor. I have tried setting the projector resolution to one of the HDTV resolutions (or factors thereof) but it won’t take it. I can have the projector res. lower than the monitor res. but then I have to scroll and it still won’t let me choose any resolutions that aren’t the same aspect ratio as the monitor.

Is there anyway I can have 4:3 on my primary monitor and 16:9 on the projector?

2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you running both displays from the same video card?
    Not sure if you can set independant resolutions without using 2 separate video cards and using the Windows extended desktop option. I use 2 graphics cards and 2 monitors with both set to different resolutions.

I could be wrong not having seen a 9700.

If you do need a second video card, make sure it's PCI as there is only 1 AGP slot in the motherboard.

hth,
    Owen

3. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks owenw.

Both outputs are indeed from the same card and I loathe to buy a second but maybe if I can find a cheap one. If I were to play a game using the 9700 as the direct 3d renderer would the output from the 9700 be the game and the second card continue to display the desktop?

I had wondered if it just wasn’t possible for the card to output 2 different resolutions but thought it probably was as the card can certainly display different outputs to each monitor.

4. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the card able to send 2 separate video signals? If so, then it should be possible to set each res separately.

Any Radeon experts out there able to shed any light on this?

Bear in mind that Direct 3D will disable the secondary screen if you're using Windows extended desktop with 2 video cards.
    So getting a second card is not going to help for games, unfortunately.

Owen

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There should be a "16:9" setting in "Clone mode options..." under the "Overlay" tab in the latest drivers.

Either that or you can run an extended desktop and set resolutions/refresh rates independently.

MuFu.

6. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MuFu, you sure know a lot for your age ;)

I've tried the 16:9 option but the aspect ratio still looks wrong. I will have another play with extended desktop tonight but I didn't have much luck last time.

Maybe I should just buy a 16:9 monitor!

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    One thing you could try is to install Rage3D Tweak and enable a custom display mode of 960x540. You'll have to restart, but once you've done that you should have the option of setting the native resolution of your projector (provided you are running an extended desktop configuration), which will obviously get the most out of it.

Do you have a DVI lead? The other thing you can try is to hook the projector up via DVI and it should auto-configure itself via the DDC. Bear in mind that again you'll have to use an extended desktop because most projectors will only accept a 60Hz signal via DVI.

MuFu.

8. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link, i'll check that out tonight too.

I'd considered running (wanted to run) via DVI but I need at least a 12 metre lead and I understand they have problems over that sort of length.