Htpc advice

andipann

Standard Member
Hi

Upgrading the old htpc and need advice as to what type of hardware I require to get it complete.
My main reason for upgrading is the full 3d playback as I have a lot of bluray 3d media.

I have of cousre my antec fusion case , an i3 2100 CPU , 4g ram.

What motherboard would you recommend and what gpu for full 3d playback.

Advice welcome and a note I m on a budget.

Cheers

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Might help if you say what your budget is.

Doesn't the i3 2100 GPU have 3D?
Intel® Core
Says it does in the graphics specs, but never used it myself.

If that is the case then just get a motherboard that allows you to use it. Something like a h61 or h67 chipset. Maybe the zXX ones too (unsure). The pXX doesn't allow you to use onboard graphics i believe.

andipann

Standard Member
Might help if you say what your budget is.

Doesn't the i3 2100 GPU have 3D?
Intel® Core
Says it does in the graphics specs, but never used it myself.

If that is the case then just get a motherboard that allows you to use it. Something like a h61 or h67 chipset. Maybe the zXX ones too (unsure). The pXX doesn't allow you to use onboard graphics i believe.

Yes I believe it does have 3d on board but Been advised I will need a gpu for full 3d playback.

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Yes I believe it does have 3d on board but I will need a gpu for full 3d playback.

why will you need a gpu? Why can't you use the one on the i3 2100? Especially if you are on a budget

andipann

Standard Member
why will you need a gpu? Why can't you use the one on the i3 2100? Especially if you are on a budget

If I can that is great .
As you can probably tell I have very little knowledge in this department . I was told that to get full 3d bluray playback that I would need a graphics card.

In that case I just require a mobo from your link and away I go :thumbsup:

Also I intend to keep on using xbmc which I have been using on xp, is there an advantage to go to windows 7 ? As my brother has a windows 7 spare but not sure If I will gain an advantage anywhere in using it over xp.

bryanchicken

Novice Member
If I can that is great .
As you can probably tell I have very little knowledge in this department . I was told that to get full 3d bluray playback that I would need a graphics card.

In that case I just require a mobo from your link and away I go :thumbsup:

Also I intend to keep on using xbmc which I have been using on xp, is there an advantage to go to windows 7 ? As my brother has a windows 7 spare but not sure If I will gain an advantage anywhere in using it over xp.

I would research to double check, but i don't think you need an additional GPU. I have a very similar CPU (2120) but i've never used 3D and don't have a 3D tv. But i assumed it was capable if needed.

Does XBMC support blu-ray? Maybe the upcoming version, not sure the previous one though. I'm not a blu-ray user (well, directly from disc anyway), but i imagine support in Win7 is likely to be better for that than XP.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom