HTPC & 360 HD DVD Sound issues [Stutter + what output is best]

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mac_monkey, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    After getting a US 360 HD DVD drive from the guy in red and getting it working on my HTPC I am hearing the occasional audio glitch.

Whilst watching King Kong I had apoximatly 20 occurances. It's hard to describe but basically the Audio will cut out for a fraction of a second and then continue. I would call it stuttering but that would emply its regular/repeated cut outs. It doesnt seem to effect the picture and I dont think it's because my system is struggling.

I have an HDA X-Plosion card connected to my AMP via Toslink. Using PowerDVD ultra.

In addition, after reading the "360 HD - poor audio" thread am I connecting my HTPC to my amp via the wrong connection? Will I get better quality using COAX or even using the PCs DAC and outputting via analogue? I'm running a 5.1 system BTW. (I have a HDMI GFX card but it takes its audio stream from a SPDIF header, so that would be no better even if I did have a HDMI amp/TV).

With the new formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD) is there anything I sould be looking for in an Amp? I'm in the market and was about to get an Arcam AVR 300, is it worth waiting?.

2. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry can't comment on the stuttering, but don't worry about the complaints about poor audio from the 360-HD-DVD - these relate to the way the XBox-360 console re-encodes the audio (badly), so you shouldn't have any such problems with PowerDVD.