1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC 2 - Audio Only

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Barbarosa, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finished the all singing, all dancing computer for downstairs, SWMBO was so impressed that I have been given permission to build one for upstais - audio only.

The idea is to make it silent and quite small. Here is the Spec:

Case Silverstone LC09
    Motherboadrd Via M6000 Mini itx - Only 600MHz but fanless, hope it is powerfull enough.
    512Mb RAM
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard - Stereo and processor speed is still within the processor spec.
    No monitor, keyboard or mouse - control by WiFi PDA with Proximis NetRemote
    Internal USB WiFi.

We'll see how well it works!

Paul

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    Lets have some pics and screenshots of the finished one then!! :)

3. GLP1

GLP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Paul

Good luck with your next project. Just goes to show you, not all SWMBO are equal....

I am a currently putting together a HTPC using an mCubed hfx case and a Aopen i915gmm-hfs Pentium M MB. I noticed that you have a got a passively cooled 6600GT graphics card in your primary system.

Are you using the Borg graphics cooler?

The reason I ask is that a little while ago Johnny found the Fanless gigabyte 6600GT would n't fit in the case because of the top heatpipe. So... did you buy a Fanned version and remove the fan or did you get the Fanless and remove the heatsink and heatpipes.

I am not sure whether newish graphics card sense no fan and then go into limb mode.

Finding it difficult to decide which graphics card to go with and which OS.

Gavin

4. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 6600 GT passive doesn't fit and the fan cooled version has th GPU too high on the board to fit the Borg cooler without modification. With hindsight I would go for a passively cooled 6200 or 9200, I think that they would be fine for video playing.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What software are you using for music, where is the music stored, will it be in the other machine?

Not sure a 600mhz will be enough, might be sluggish...

6. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered an 80Gb HDD but the music will mainly be from a server. 600 Mhz is the big question mark. If it doesn't work, I can upgrade to a 1.2Ghz Mini Itx for about £100 - but it will be fan cooled. I'll see how it goes with the slower processor.

Software, I will start with WinAmp as it is supported by NetRemote and has FLAC plug-ins.

7. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I was going to get the Borg GPU cooler for my 6600GT but then saw your post - what sort of modification are you talking about? Did you do it?

I emailed mcubed about this and they suggested using the northbridge cooler instead, when I queired the fact that it seems pretty chunky and if it would fit between two pci cards, i got a reply telling me the GPU cooler needs 22mm space (my question was about the northbridge cooler, so I think something was lost in the translation!)

The fan on the 6600GT is pretty loud and its the only thing making any noise, are there any alternatives to the borg?

thanks

8. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a 6600 passivly cooled from XFX that will fit (no heat pipes )

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    From their website it looks like these are PCI-e only :(
    Any passively cooled 6600's AGP cards that you are aware of that will not take over the PCI slot in a shuttle?

lisa

10. GLP1

GLP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Johnny

I am looking at this from the other direction. I have A Borg cooler can't decide upon a graphics card.

Firstly the depth of the GPU cooler is 26mm so the 22mm may be correct for the northbridge cooler.

You can easily make a template to see if the cooler will fit a card providing you know a couple of measurements. The fan fixing holes determine everything.

If you draw a imaginary horizontal line halfway between the holes and add 7cm that will be the top of your heatsink. If you now draw a vertical line midway between the two holes the point where this bisects the other line is 6cms from each edge of the heatsink.

good luck

Gavin

11. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gavin,

Thanks for that. Think I'm going to hold off for a while - I had some further email correspondance with mcubed who informed me that they are developing a new borg GPU cooler that might be suitable and it will be available in 3 months time.

So for now, I think i'll put up with the noise or maybe try and source a xfx 6600 as mentioned by skunkpipe (although I need to make sure it doesnt cover the adjacent pci slot)

Johnny

12. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had a music only setup with a Via M6000. Worked a treat with a touch screen....rarrrr. Silverstone LC02 case and used XLobby for the software.....again...rarrrrrrr. IDE 80Gb Barracuda IV disk (v quiet) Slow to bootup using Win2K (what isn't) but once up and running was perfect.

http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11495#11495

13. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This week, I got it up and running - there was a bit of delay in getting the case, but worthwile.

The build was straightforward. The only hitch was the IDE cable, the connectors for the two drives were too close together. After some fruitless hunting arround for a suitable cable, I resorted to moving the plug for the slave drive. A bit smelly, but seems to work OK.

The worries about a 600 MHz processor seem unfounded. XP-MCE seems to run fine, the only obvious sluggishness is on startup, otherwise everything works OK.

The remote control software needs some development. The original intention was Net Remote. This works OK but seems quite limited in what it can do. In particular, there is no plug-in for Foobar. I want to use Foobar so that I can use the ASIO capabilities of the soundcard. Now I am looking at Xlobby, I think that it will do everything that I want and seems easier to customise than Net Remote.

Paul