HTIB vs AV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by titchy, Feb 22, 2014.

1. titchy

titchy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bite my head off from this, I know that a AV receiver is better than a HTIB.

My question is; how much better for music is an AV receiver compared to a HTIB?

For example, I have a pretty old Samsung HTIB and the music is pretty loud and brilliant quality.

Will I notice a big difference in music if I was to sell my HTIB (3ohm / passive sub) and replace it with my vx-r375 (6ohm / powered sub) which I've just purchased but cannot use due to not having the speakers yet.

The only reason I ask this is because I'm a student and I'm already stretching my budget after paying £180 for the AV receiver and wondered if the £280++ in total is going to make that much of a difference for a small room.

Cheers

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The improvement in music quality will come from the speakers you buy to go with the receiver. If you buy a cheap budget sub/sat system then the gains in music may not be massive over your current system but there will still be some improvement I am sure. However, if you look to get some standmount based speakers then I feel the improvement will be more marked. Besides improved sound quality AVRs also offer far more connectivity and also easier/cheaper upgrades in the future.