HTCP and Pace DS810XE - DD during breaks, but stereo during programmes...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jon_c0, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I've noticed something with both my HTPC and a Pace DS810XE I'm setting up for someone else - both connected via an optical cable to my Yamaha amp.

When watching BBC HD with the Dolby Digital soundtrack selected, the BBC Preview bits are actually in 5.1 sound, as expected, but when a programme starts (seems to be any programme) I'm just getting stereo only through the two front speakers. To clarify - nothing's changed on my amp, and it detects everything as Dolby Digital in both cases, but during a programme I'm only getting output from the front speakers, between programmes I'm getting full 5.1 sound from all speakers.

I've resorted to turning my amp to Pro-Logic II during programmes, but obviously that's not ideal. Originally I thought it might be something strange in the audio settings of my HTPC, but it also happens with the standalone Pace box I've just got...

The amp is the common factor in all of this, but it is decoding the DD digital soundtrack properly during breaks on BBC HD, from DVDs etc., it's just during BBC HD programmes.

Any ideas? Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. aerobic247

aerobic247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i am all so getting this with my Virgin media V+ box
    it would seem it is a problem at the transmission end from the BBC :thumbsdow

3. aquatarkus

aquatarkus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    And i thought i was me, i posted about this error here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617086
    and didn't get any replies. I get virtualy the same problem, output picture from my V+ box to my Toshiba 32C3030D via the HDMI cable and sound via toslink (optical) to my Yamaha A/V reciever (Yamaha correctly shows the signal as Dolby Digital). All sounds really good on the HD advert between the trailers but then seems to switch to something not quiet 5.1 during any program or the trailers, voices seem to come from the center and front L and R speakers and if watching Jools Holland can hear the voice of the singer but all the instruments seem miles away and very muddy in sound quality.
    I'm starting to suspect that its Virgin media who are having a problem as have tried my A/V reciever on my friends Sky+ box with the same settings and the BBC HD channel works fine, brilliant in fact and also if i watch any of the HD movies then no problem but my daughter was trying to watch the Beyonce HD concert on the On Demand BBC HD channel and got the Same problem.
    Will have to have a look on the VirginMedia newsgroups to see if anyone else having same problem.

Regards
    Keith.

4. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Seems a bit of a coincidence though, if I'm having the same experience via satellite with two different receivers?

Then again, I was thinking this to be an oddity with my amp/setup, being that I would have expected more folk to be complaining if not...

5. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85