• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTC Touch HD Thread

johny1980

Prominent Member
Noticed just a few threads on this so though id start up a proper one for the phone itself.

Just ordered mine today and should get it on sat. Moving from an N95.

Thoughts and questions in here :thumbsup:

lead

Established Member
I got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. I've only scratched the surface (not literally!) on what it can do.

So far I've bought Calender Touch from SBSH. I had the Smartphone version on my v1240 and much prefer it to the standard calender. I got a 50% discount too, as I was 'crossing platforms'.

Tonight I installed a Martin Fields screen protector. I can relax a little now kowing the screen is well protected. And what a screen!

I'm still considering a case. Possibly a silicone one. But I'm not sure I want to spoil it's looks by wrapping it up. There are loads of cheap ones (£1.99) on ebay, but I believe an official HTC one is due to be released next month at £14ish.

My next task is to find a suitable satnav package. I'm leaning towards CoPilot v7 at the moment.

Last edited:

nitelife

Established Member
had mine for a few days now, and its fantastic. Get over to xda developers and make sure you update it with the latest bug fixes and check out what tweaks you like.

Haven't had to to play with it properly but will do this weekend. Just ordered a silicon case of ebay and and contemplating the martin fields screen protector.

So far so good. Was a bit dubious about it at first, but get HDTweak on their and its performance increase (including the screen sensitivity).

johny1980

Prominent Member
had mine for a few days now, and its fantastic. Get over to xda developers and make sure you update it with the latest bug fixes and check out what tweaks you like.

Haven't had to to play with it properly but will do this weekend. Just ordered a silicon case of ebay and and contemplating the martin fields screen protector.

So far so good. Was a bit dubious about it at first, but get HDTweak on their and its performance increase (including the screen sensitivity).

got a link for that site and any others ?

Had mine since early November. Its certainly coming into its own now, and im happy not to have an iPhone. Its a very nice device once you work out its quirks and how to get the best from it. The main thig is using the video encoder avalaible at XDA developers which outputs very nice videos for the HD.

Im using a custom ROM. Davideuck_V-3, although V-4 is out today which i might test. Also running with an analogue clock and various other mofifications.

Its fast and stable and has more features than any other phone on the market.

johny1980

Prominent Member
Right. Just got mine today and these are probably very nieve questions because i havent had chance to look at things properly at all.

Is the only way to upload picture, videos music with windows media player as in the windows connect app that comes with it?

I copied up some files onto the 8gb card via explorer and the phone didnt see them at all. I tried the sync but it didnt pick up the fact id copied the files at all ?

When in internet explorer i turned the phone round (landscape) and the screen didnt turn round with it like the i phone. Is this feature available ?

Just connect it with activesync the phone will then be visible as a portable device in windows explorer.

Where did you put the files and what are they?

Mobile internet explorer doesnt auto rotate, the default touchflow browser is Opera, that does auto rotate.

johny1980

Prominent Member
Just connect it with activesync the phone will then be visible as a portable device in windows explorer.

Where did you put the files and what are they?

Mobile internet explorer doesnt auto rotate, the default touchflow browser is Opera, that does auto rotate.

its kool, ive sussed it now, i was being daft

using opera now to :thumbsup:

how come the rotate doesnt work in the standard apps, music & pictures etc ?

also, ive enable wireless but when i go on the net it give no clear indication of what connection it is using

does it revert to wireless if its available

having had a few hours to play it is starting to come into its own, i was a bit sceptical at first !

Touchflow3D (also called Manila) isnt set up to rotate and indeed corrupts if you try. There are a number of apps for windows mobile to enable rotation, but they are best set to ignore the touchflow interface. Everything else, i.e. the normal windows mobile interface, like the messaging app, email, settings etc. will rotate well.
Tap the taskbar (at the top in Winmo), it will let you see what connections are connected.

johny1980

Prominent Member
Touchflow3D (also called Manila) isnt set up to rotate and indeed corrupts if you try. There are a number of apps for windows mobile to enable rotation, but they are best set to ignore the touchflow interface. Everything else, i.e. the normal windows mobile interface, like the messaging app, email, settings etc. will rotate well.
Tap the taskbar (at the top in Winmo), it will let you see what connections are connected.

ive tried the windows messaging, email apps but they do not rotate ?

Are you saying i have to turn off the touchflow interface for them ? And if so how ?

Lobo

Established Member
My phone arrives on Tuesday as a free upgrade. Have 7 days to return it so will give me some time to trial it before deciding for sure.

I had a quick look at the 5800. It seemed quite a decent phone for what it was - and a nice size too. But, having an ipod touch and being used to the sensitivity of the screen, I wasnt impressed at having to press the screen quite hard on the 5800 to get a response.

Will see how the Touch HD is.

Anybody tried the winterface addin for the HTC?

Zanim

Established Member
Just wondered what people though of the phone?

I've always been a Sony Ericsson person but am not sure about the X1? How would people rate this agaist the X1 for any1 who's owned both.

X1 is bad, was thinking about getting that, but avoid, great screen, but just way too small, same price as Touch HD, wasn't really any point of them making the phone, go for the touch HD.. unless you really want a hardware keyboard

Lobo

Established Member
Hi Lobo did you have to change tariff?

Thanks.
taiko

Nope, didnt have to change tariff.

Does anybody know if you can text on this phone using a standard numeric keyboard with predictive? I text quite heavily and would find this easier as can text with one hand - which would be more difficult with a qwerty keyboard. I know the Nokia 5800 touchscreen has this feature.

Lobo

Established Member
Thanks Lobo. I am thinking of upgrading and Orange wanted me to pay £45 up front for the HTC Touch HD.

I also had to pay for the phone up front, but they credit the amount back onto my account so it comes off my next bill - which is effectively the same thing.

They also dropped my monthly rental. :)

johny1980

Prominent Member
2 more questions

Is there a free tom tom app ?

I read somewhere they had realeased a free version ? If so would where would i find it ?

Also, is there a sky planner for this phone and how would i get it ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom