HTC Kaiser

ZootHornRollo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

any idea's when the Kaiser will be released?

also, any idea of pricing? network availability? contract costs?

G.

Yeah, the HTC P4540 "should" be released in June. And a HTC P4550 should follow soon after.

I think you'll need to wait until then for price and availability.

Do either of these have inbuilt GPS?

EDIT: I see the P4550 does, nice looking device.

The Kaiser looks like a real treat. I've been contemplating the Nokia N95 or the Orange SPV E650 (HTC S710) but I've decided to hold out until the HTC Kaiser.

I couldn't find any firm info on a release date though.

The Kaiser looks like a real treat. I've been contemplating the Nokia N95 or the Orange SPV E650 (HTC S710) but I've decided to hold out until the HTC Kaiser.

I couldn't find any firm info on a release date though.

Wise, i have an N95 but it's just a second phone for when i don't want my more bulky business phone with me. But if i could only have one, i would take the HTC any day.

Windows Mobile seriously laughs in Symbian's face these days, and the gap widens by the day. I use both and there is just no serious software development going on for Symbian, it's the Fisher Price of operating systems.

Yeah I hear you on that one, I have the Nokia N80 at the moment and though I like the phone and the potential is there, it just isn't being fed the software it needs to be truly outstanding.

Over time I've come to find that I do so much more on my phone than just calling. I think a move for me to a Windows Mobile device is just what the doctor ordered.

Yeah I hear you on that one, I have the Nokia N80 at the moment and though I like the phone and the potential is there, it just isn't being fed the software it needs to be truly outstanding.

Over time I've come to find that I do so much more on my phone than just calling. I think a move for me to a Windows Mobile device is just what the doctor ordered.

Ah man, you are just going to lurrrve Windows Mobile then :clap:

Post back when you want a list of great software to get and turn you device into the best toy you ever owned :thumbsup:

Autopilot, I've just ran into another problem. It appears that my brother has ordered the N95 on an O2 contract and it's just arrived in the post this morning.

Being the lovely younger brother that I am, I've put the phone on charge for him so it'll be fully charged when he gets home this evening and wants to play with it. Not that I've seen the phone, cor blimey, it's a stunner! What a drop dead gorgeous piece of kit it really is, so smart looking. Makes my N80 look like junk! :rotfl:

I haven't used the N95 at all, though I've held it and seen it, I promised my brother I wouldn't use it so I've just put it on charge so he can be first to actually turn it on.

I'm so so tempted by the N95 now, in terms of hardware it's great, if only it could run Windows Mobile 6. I'll see how it goes tonight when he uses it. I'll get a bit of hands on time with it too and if I like it, I might not be able to resist.

Part of me however still wants to hold out for Kaiser.

Remember with an N95, what you see is pretty much what you get. With WM5/6 you can turn it into an awesome machine. Webbrowsing is terrible on the N95, as is the MP3 player etc. The N95 also has a lot of bugs, including a rubbish GPS chip thats not anywhere as good as the one used in the new HTC's. After a few hours you will realise it's not all that different to the N80 really.

I'm not biased, i have an N95. But it's for calls, texts and the occasional photo. My HTC is my serious bit of kit, could not live without it. When i got my N95 i was like wow, but the novelty wore off after a couple for days and it was back to the HTC for the serious fun/business.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for, they are worlds apart. Power users will be disappointed with the N95. It's not a bad phone though. If you have never used a decent WM device, i guess you wont miss it though. Many people have never tried a really good WM phone so don't see what all the fuss is about, but Symbian is pathetic next to WM6. They used to be enterprise devices, but are fast becoming the lifestyle mobile devices of choice. I know a few people that have just taken there first dip into WM and they are blown away, they are like wow i not know you could you all this stuff :) My HTC is my main GPS, Video, Internet and music device. A dedicated tomtom would just give me a bigger screen and Conduits Pocket Player has a much better feature set than an iPod. The N95 is ok for the occasional bit of that, but it's so wet and feature light in comparison. That said, some people hate them. But thats because they are not the kind of person it's suited to, it's all a bit much for them.

I know exactly what you mean though, even my N80 isn't without it's software faults. For all the great hardware, the Symbian OS is in a way sluggish and limited.

It's just a shame there isn't really a Windows Mobile Device that looks stunning and has great built in hardware. You're right however, I'll wait until Kaiser 'cause more functionality is most important to me.

htc_p4550_2.jpg

Personally, i think that looks nicer than my N95, although the N95 is not bad looking.

As for the specs, apart from the N95's camera (vastly overrated anyway), the specs blow the N95 clean out of the water.

Visit http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php For more info. There are usually some people 'in the know' kicking around that can give you a good estimate on release dates (plus a lot of wild speculation of course).

That I must admit is a much nicer picture than those I've already seen. Still, it doesn't quite have the futuristic look of the N95.

I've made my decision though, I will be waiting for the Kaiser cause a Windows Mobile device is much more beneficial to me. I'll have a browse around those forums too, thanks for the link! :)

windows powered pda's are the nuts!

its all about the software thou!
oh and get a big mem card to put movies etc on

Any more news on when the Kaiser will be released in the UK? I've seen two online retailer sites (both US) and they have dates in July and August. I've also seen a UK site and it has it priced at about £600 (inc. VAT)

Went into a T Mobile in Manchester at the weekend and the guy I spoke to had no knowledge about any new HTC models coming in the near future. I liked the look of the Vario II, but will wait for the P4550, which appears to have everything you could possible want in a smartphone (with the exception of an MP3 player - or perhaps I've missed this spec. This is just a quibble though, as it looks really good. I'm in the grip of technolust!

If the Kaiser had but a tenth of the hype surrounding the iphone, it would be massive.

It comes with Mobile Media Player, which is ok but not great. But the beauty of Windows Mobile devices is that there are load of amazing MP3 players you can install. Have a look at this - http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

Thank autopilot.

I can't now think of anything that I want in a smartphone that the kaiser hasn't got!

I've just visited the Howard site and a guy has posted that he has bought a Kaiser off ebay (although it hasn't arrived yet). If the guy is genuine, we should get a good user review of it soon.

Look at this little bunch of WM6 loveliness. Finally I might be able to get a phone with what I want. WM6, GPS, and a nice keyboard as well as touchscreen. . .but which one? :confused:. . .maybe this one.

HTC seems to be producing a confusingly large number of new smartphones - it will be raining new smartphones soon . The new i-mate looks interesting too.

I'm still lusting for the kaiser for the time being though (I've noticed that the controls are on the left side, which suits me being left-handed).

reply from t-mobile regarding this handset :-

Hello Neil

Thanks for your email about the HTC P4540 (known as the Kaiser). It's great to hear from you today.

I'm pleased to hear that you're thinking of joining T-Mobile on a web 'n' walk package. It's always a pleasure to be contacted by a new customer.

I've had a look into this for you today, and I'm glad to let you know that we will be releasing this phone in future as the T-Mobile MDA Vario III.

Unfortunately we haven't got a set date for it's release as of yet, but I can assure you that we're doing everything we can to bring it to the market very soon.

Because our phones undergo very strict testing before we release them (to minimise the risk of faults), we never confirm a date to avoid mis-advising our customers.

I understand this may be very disappointing for you Neil, as I know it's important to get the right phone for you.

You can keep an eye on our available phones at www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop, this site is constantly updated and will provide you with the MDA Vario III when it's available.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me today, Neil. I'm sure that when the MDA Vario III is available we'll be able to offer you a great deal on it.

I look forward to having you on the T-Mobile network.

If you have any further questions please feel free to reply to this email and I'll be happy to help you. Alternatively, you might find the answer you're looking for in our top questions area.

Kind Regards

Lee McCabe
Customer Services Email Team
T-Mobile

Not sure if i should take that as good news or bad?

I read on another site that it will be most probably be available in the US around July and in Europe around Octoberish (not sure how accurate it is).

Well, at least we know that t mobile will be getting it.

Why though is the guy calling it the p4540 rather than the p4550? Are these the same models?

I read on another site that it will be most probably be available in the US around July and in Europe around Octoberish (not sure how accurate it is).

Well, at least we know that t mobile will be getting it.

Why though is the guy calling it the p4540 rather than the p4550? Are these the same models?

No, different. I believe the p4540 has no GPS. I think there are other differences.

No, different. I believe the p4540 has no GPS. I think there are other differences.
/I]

I want GPS - as the vario II has GPS, it seems a bit strange that the vario III wouldn't have it.

I wonder if any other UK provider will be selling the p4550 (i.e. with GPS)?

vario II does not have built in GPS

Thanks zoothorn.

I admit to being mistaken. The guy who showed me the vario II said it had GPS, but presumably he meant a t mobile add on or something. Perhaps the vario III will also have the option of having GPS added on by t mobile as an extra - any info would be greatly appreciated. I am keen on this phone and would be really disappointed if I couldn't get good GPS on it.

I own a HTC Tytn which I use on the 3 network. It’s a superb device. I have install Google maps on it but the only thing its missing is a GPS chip which the Kaiser has. I believe it also has more memory.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom