HTC Hero vs San Francisco

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I have a HTC hero phone but I am looking for a newer phone
Is the San Francisco a better phone or as for the price a lower spec?

I want a phone with quick internet processor and good apps.

RobM

Distinguished Member
It's as good as, IMO. You wont gain a huge amount by moving from one to the other. The Hero is a bloody good handset, which is why the SanFran, with it's bargain price tag and comparable performance, won so much respect.

The hero was my first android nadset and i own a san fran now. The san fran in my eyes is just a lot better but it isnt exactly a major step up although the screen resolution is much better on the san fran.

Given a choice between the two i would take the san fran any day of the week but as i said dont expect it too be big upgrade in terms of performance and in fact when it comes to the camera it is a massive step down.

Your call really.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
The hero was my first android nadset and i own a san fran now. The san fran in my eyes is just a lot better but it isnt exactly a major step up although the screen resolution is much better on the san fran.

Given a choice between the two i would take the san fran any day of the week but as i said dont expect it too be big upgrade in terms of performance and in fact when it comes to the camera it is a massive step down.

Your call really.
It's as good as, IMO. You wont gain a huge amount by moving from one to the other. The Hero is a bloody good handset, which is why the SanFran, with it's bargain price tag and comparable performance, won so much respect.
Thanks for your replies.

I like the hero but a little bored with it now.
I was going to go for an upgrade but dont see the point in paying £35-£40 a month for 2 years for roughly the same tariff as a £15 sim only contract would cost.

Is the internet performance better on the OSF?

Do you know if it's possible to use it as a wifi hotspot?

wifi hotspot yes using an app like barnacle or using the inbuilt one in the settings menu. Internet seems fine to me but i dont really browse too much and the ones i do such as the bbc and the guardian sites i use an app called world newspapers. Highly recommended is that and it is free.

I dont think it does flash though as the cpu doesnt support it but it happily runs gameloft hd games (well the one i have tried anyways :D)

Again i use apps such as mplayer for bbc iplayer playback and sky news own app and it happily plays back the videos with no slowdown.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
wifi hotspot yes using an app like barnacle or using the inbuilt one in the settings menu. Internet seems fine to me but i dont really browse too much and the ones i do such as the bbc and the guardian sites i use an app called world newspapers. Highly recommended is that and it is free.

I dont think it does flash though as the cpu doesnt support it but it happily runs gameloft hd games (well the one i have tried anyways :D)

Again i use apps such as mplayer for bbc iplayer playback and sky news own app and it happily plays back the videos with no slowdown.
Sounds good.
Just ordered it from orange so should have it weds.
What's the video/music playback like?

Edit: Do you know what the LG Optimus 7 E900 phone is like?

Last edited:
You will probably want a decent movie player Google that. I use winamp or three for music searcht the market. I don't know much about the LG but the san Fran is the best budget android handset bar none.

I'm still using a Hero (cyanogenmod) and my wife has a Blade, I was going to buy a Blade but decided whilst its a good phone (especially for the money), it's not a significant performance upgrade apart from screen resolution (CPU still struggles with Angry Birds etc).

I'm keeping an eye out for the imminent ZTE Skate (Blade successor).

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I'm still using a Hero (cyanogenmod) and my wife has a Blade, I was going to buy a Blade but decided whilst its a good phone (especially for the money), it's not a significant performance upgrade apart from screen resolution (CPU still struggles with Angry Birds etc).

I'm keeping an eye out for the imminent ZTE Skate (Blade successor).
I have an ipod touch for gaming so not an issue for me.
Will give this phone a go for a few months and then if it's not much better will buy a htc desire s or hd

djmulls

Novice Member
Camera is a little poor on the sf, but it is a great phone. I love it! Hero, loss of screen resolution, but the camera is a little better. Either phone makes a good option.

If you do go for the sf, just get rid of the Orange firmware. I saw someone saying they are using Cyanogenmod, I am using Swedish Springs 5 and it runs like a dream.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom