• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTC Hero MP3 Player

nickhopkins07

Hi Guys,

Currently coming to the end of my mobile contract, and after a slightly torrid time with Three, I'll be swapping networks, and as such most likely be getting a new handset, so being a bit of a gadget freak, already started investigating!

I guess it's fair to say I'm between and Iphone and the Hero at the moment. Can't help but be impressed with the Iphone whenever I've used one, but being a bit of a geek, the android movement does seem rather exciting (sad I know!)

The camera side of things doesn't bother me, I'll most likely never use it anyway, I've got a D300 for that!, but I most likely will get a fair amount of use out of the MP3 player of whichever I go for. Obviously the Iphone is as good an Ipod as well, so theres a lot of inherent support there, but what are the MP3 capabilities of the Hero like?

The headphone jack is appealing, although I've heard the sound quality is less them 'mind blowing' anyway, but whats the usability of the MP3 player like? Can you get different mp3 players via the apps store? All the phone I've had so far, have had such crummy mp3 players on them, I've never really bothered using them much. Can the Hero sync to a PC in an Itune kinda way to easily and intuitively transfer ripped albums?

So any experiences of the MP3 player(s) on the hero would be most most grateful.

Cheers guys and girls.

:thumbsup:

mitor

Hi

I've got a Hero and have moved away from the iPhone.

I would say that the iPhone is a little worse than a good dedicated mp3 player in terms of function (lack of dedicated buttons) and sound quality. Compared to something like a Sansa clip or fuze the clarity is not quite the same.

The hero however is atrocious, and I've taken to only using it for podcasts.

The inbuilt mp3 player program is totally dreadful, hard to use and fiddly.

That pales in comparison to the sound quality which is truly awful.

My headphones are a pair of Atrio M5's but the difference is marked even with much cheaper headphones.

If audio quality is important to you the iPhone is king at the moment.

nickhopkins07

Hi mitor,

Thanks for that Much appreciated......not really what I wanted to hear, but I can't say I'm surprised, HTC don't seem to advertise the MP3 capabilities bar saying it has one, which led me to believe it might not be that great.

Sound quality is obviously important, but I don't expect miracles from a phone, for me MP3 on the move is more about usability and ease of access, which it sounds like the Hero doesn't exactly excel at regardless. which is slightly disappointing.

Thanks again.

ma1234

I would have to disagree, I have also moved from an iphone and I would put the sound quality marginally better (just been trying it with the same track/headphones on both phones as we speak) on the iphone but the difference is not as great as the previous poster suggests IMO.
The player itsefl is very similar, HTC have incorporated their own version of 'coverflow' which isn't as slick looking as the iphones but does the job in being able to switch between albums. All other options are available from within the player with a bar along the bottom of the screen for quick access to albums, playlists, songs etc etc. The music player can also be installed as a widget on one of the home screens, this only gives basic functionality but often that is all i need. Again the player is also active on the unlock screen where play/pause etc is accessible without unlocking to home screen.
Overall the iphone shades, it is/looks slicker in operation but IMO there isn't as much in it as stated earlier.

Last edited:

james_lfc

Standard Member
I would have to disagree, I have also moved from an iphone and I would put the sound quality marginally better (just been trying it with the same track/headphones on both phones as we speak) on the iphone but the difference is not as great as the previous poster suggests IMO.
The player itsefl is very similar, HTC have incorporated their own version of 'coverflow' which isn't as slick looking as the iphones but does the job in being able to switch between albums. All other options are available from within the player with a bar along the bottom of the screen for quick access to albums, playlists, songs etc etc. The music player can also be installed as a widget on one of the home screens, this only gives basic functionality but often that is all i need. Again the player is also active on the unlock screen where play/pause etc is accessible without unlocking to home screen.
Overall the iphone shades, it is/looks slicker in operation but IMO there isn't as much in it as stated earlier.

I agree with that, iv i had both (got hero) the speaker sounds better on the hero when headphones aren't plugged in and there isn't a much difference is sound quality when the headphones are in, if you put headphones in with an iPhone it may be a bit louder but personally i prefer it to be clear. So all in all they are quite evenly matched.

BTW I HAVE VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE HERO AND IMO ITS BETTER :D ps im not just saying that as iv had both and iv had them side by side so its not like i havent had a iPhone and im just being malicious lol
:thumbsup:

nickhopkins07

Cheers for the replys guys, so maybe it's not so bad afterall!?!?

Anyone else fancy giving their opinion on the MP3 side of the Hero?

I really need to find someone with a Hero so i can have a look first hand, sadly everyone seems to have an Iphone!:rolleyes:

Merago

I can't compare it to the iPhone, as I've never had one, but for me, the sound is perfectly fine. I listen to Last.fm most days and I've never that I can recall thought, geez, I wish the sound quality was better (well, actually, I have, but that was with the stock headphones, other headphonse were much better).
There are a lot of alternative mp3 apps on the market too if you don't like the stock one (from what I've heard, most people do go for an alternate app eventually).

nickhopkins07

Brilliant, nice one mate :thumbsup: That's great stuff. Very helpful (for a Liverpool fan!:D:smashin:)

I think I'm edging towrds the Hero, probbaly buying it sim free, the T-mobile Solo looks good, that way I'm not tieing myself in for 18-24months, which I really dont want!

Thanks again:thumbsup:

james_lfc

Standard Member
Brilliant, nice one mate :thumbsup: That's great stuff. Very helpful (for a Liverpool fan!:D:smashin:)

I think I'm edging towrds the Hero, probbaly buying it sim free, the T-mobile Solo looks good, that way I'm not tieing myself in for 18-24months, which I really dont want!

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Okay mate cool, IF you have any more question about t just pm me, btw what colour you looking at getting ? because i currently have the Graphite one from orange but i may return it due to discolouring of the paint :s (its only a week old and i really look after my gadgets) so its either a cheap case i bought of the bay or its the colour of the phone, so i looked on the internet and it seems some others have had the same problem so i think im going to switch to t-mobile and get a black one (plus t-mobile actually offer unlimited internet whereas orange offer 500mb ! :( )

Anyway any questions just email ! :D

And your welcome :thumbsup:

nd_marshall

Standard Member
I use my Hero to play mp3s over bluetooth to both my home stereo and car stereo.

The quality itself is fine so I wouldn't worry there. It does for some reason speed the playback up occasionally but I think that's a bluetooth issue.

nickhopkins07

I'm tempted by the white one, looks extra swish in my opinion! Sucks about the discouloration in your one though, they're hardly cheap things so that's dissapointing to here.:mad:

james_lfc

Standard Member
I'm tempted by the white one, looks extra swish in my opinion! Sucks about the discouloration in your one though, they're hardly cheap things so that's dissapointing to here.:mad:

Yea its does suck a bit tbh mate anyhow i am returning mine to orange and taking one out with t-mobile (my favourite colour in them .. black).

Why are you looking at going to a 18month contract mate ?

It will work out cheaper :)

Email me for details on my contract and i'll try and help get it you :)

[email protected]

nickhopkins07

I've had a bit of a nightmare with Three on contract, and I just hate the thought of being tied into another contract, especially 18-24 month contracts, I find them a big turn off. I've worked out (roughly)if I buy the phone sim free, and go on something like T-mobiles solo rolling 30 days sim, it works out about the same if I go on one of the 12 month contracts, without being tied down, so I can jump on to a different plan if a better value one.

And if a better phone comes out, I can sell the Hero and get that nice and easily.:D

What contract are you on?

james_lfc

Standard Member
I've had a bit of a nightmare with Three on contract, and I just hate the thought of being tied into another contract, especially 18-24 month contracts, I find them a big turn off. I've worked out (roughly)if I buy the phone sim free, and go on something like T-mobiles solo rolling 30 days sim, it works out about the same if I go on one of the 12 month contracts, without being tied down, so I can jump on to a different plan if a better value one.

And if a better phone comes out, I can sell the Hero and get that nice and easily.:D

What contract are you on?

Hi mate,

I understand that you've been messed around by Three but who hasn't lol, i had nothing but trouble with them either and found voda just as bad, if not worse they really know which buttons to press :mad: haha

I get 700mins unlimited texts unlimited internet and because i have someone on t-mobile i get 3months unlimited calls to t-mobile and plus £25 to spend in any shop. (he also gets the same)

All for £26 its £36.50 on they're site :) plus i reckon id get it for £25 :p

Cheers James

axomatic

Standard Member
I've got a ipod touch and think the audio quality between it and the hero is about the same I've no complaints. The interface is also very similar and easy to use. The album art grabber app is very good. The phone is the best I've had to date, had a TyTn II before and is was frankly rubbish in comparison.

james_lfc

Standard Member
I've got a ipod touch and think the audio quality between it and the hero is about the same I've no complaints. The interface is also very similar and easy to use. The album art grabber app is very good. The phone is the best I've had to date, had a TyTn II before and is was frankly rubbish in comparison.

Hey mate,

Would you care to tell me more info on the album art grabber please, eg give em the proper name and how it works :) :D because it sounds really cool and just what im looking for ! :)

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom